Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good luck felix baumgartner!!!!

claire1985

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well balloons can't be guided really so I guess your totally dependant on where the wind takes you, balloons are a bit flimsy when it comes to wind.

Sounds like their tempting fate what with the Roswell 'alien/weather balloon' crash back in the ole days ;)

Hope it goes OK anyway no matter what.

Good luck to him, though i'm doubtful he will survive

Not a particularly nice thing to say!

He has already completed a test jump near that distance and survived pretty well :p, and this is actually the second highest altitude jump..... I think will all the technology and experience he will be just fine.

Good Luck Felix!!!

That's metres Scarlet, or 102,000 feet. Eeeeek!

That's why I have such admiration for Joe Kittenger. The equipment back then was so much more basic and the safety margins pretty slim I imagine.

Not taking anything away from Felix though, what he's doing will be incredibly dangerous and I just hope all goes to plan. Can't really imagine standing on the edge of the capsule before leaping off.....amazing and terrifying all at once!

Good luck Felix!:D:D

Stu

Yes I am sure the engineering prowess of the 50's is every bit as good as today.

If anything they had a greater challenge as the materials available were less advanced as they are today.

Hats off to anyone who is willing to jump from these extreme heights irrespective of what time in history it happens!

Didn't Joe Kittenger have a problem though - lucky to keep his hand due to a leak in his suit I think?

He did indeed. I remember that interview being on "The Planets" BBC Documentary (1999), the documentary that got me interested in Astronomy :).

I say good luck to Felix!

I guess that once he's got to 120,000 feet he won't have much choice but to jump !

Good luck to him indeed , I assume his suit is balanced in such a way as to keep him "head down" and prevent his 'family jewels' from toppling him over . . . . :rolleyes:

Roll on midday Sunday.

Steve.

Not taking anything away from the engineers back then at all Michael, the fact that he survived is testament to their ability. Merely saying that with the materials, engineering and very basic electronics they had available, naturally they couldn't cover everything off as certainly as today. I'm assuming that felix has probably trained in wind tunnels, and they have done all sorts of computer modelling to simulate the air flows around him at supersonic speeds. Perhaps not, but certainly the safety systems in the capsule will be more advanced, and the materials for his suit and the balloon much better.

Mustn't forget that two (I think) people died trying to beat Kittinger's record in the sixties, showing how dangerous it is.

Stu

One thought rolls around my head with this jump.

Imagine if you had jumped off the capsule and then nothing. No falling to the earth, just floating around.

I know from the interviews that this is how it feels at the start of the decent, it doesn't feel like your moving anywhere because of there being less friction up there.

But I'm still floating ten minutes later.

I hope everything goes to plan for Felix.

Good luck an safe journey home.

Rob

Archived