Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to pronounce "sidereal"

JBadger

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard several different pronunciations but, as far as I am concerned, knowing what it means and how to apply that knowledge is vastly more important than knowing how to pronounce it.

... and anyone who either comments on or pretends not to understand what s/he perceives as a mispronunciation is most likely one of those twerps who makes an career choice of being awkward.

(On the batphone with Tapatalk)

According to my ever so clever phone, it's -

si·de·re·al

[sahy-deer-ee-uh l]

Origin: 1625–35; < L sīdere(us) of, belonging to the stars (sīder-, s. of sīdus star, constellation + -eus adj. suffix) + -al1

But throughout the UK you could hear almost anything. The cider does sound good though.

OK, further to my comment above, it comes from the Latin "siderus" (star). The first syllable has a short vowel ("sid"). Strictly, then, I think it should be something like "sid-EER-ial" (which, being a pedantic git, is how I usually pronounce it). However, almost all experienced British astronomers I know say either "SIGH-DEER-ial" of "SIDDER-eel". But also, as I said above, nobody misunderstands any of these pronunciations unless s/he actively wants to.

I think.

Ah, so now we move into the thorny issue of 'correct pronunciation' and then it goes off limits because it's a highly political issue! Oh yes!! Because 'received pronunciation' is nothing more than the accent of the ruling class, comrades. No it's not! Yes it is!

Mr Spock's point is a curious one because, speaking as one who lives in France and in a french speaking household, I can assure SGL that the French themselves cannot agree on the pronunciation of 'croissant.' In this neck of the woods it comes out as croissang and a dog is a chieng. But in Paris you must, especially if speaking on the TV, greet someone with a hearty 'Bonjour-er.' A mere 'Bonjour' will mark you down as the kind of rustic bumpkin who might fail to see the need for four wheel drive on the Champs Elysées.

Olly

Ah but... we aren't talking about the differences in regional accents when pronouncing sidereal. What we are talking about is basic pronounciation. If you change the basic way a word is pronounced, you start to sound like a Two Ronnies sketch ;)

Archived