Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New superbright comet on the way?

Simms

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope so, the link suggests the comet's orbit will be close to Sun the first and then pass earth favourably as well

Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) will get to within 0.012AU of the Sun (extremely close) at the end of November 2013 and then to ~0.4AU from Earth at the beginning of January 2014! According to its orbit, this comet might become a naked-eye object in the period November 2013 - January 2014. And it might reach a negative magnitude at the end of November 2013.

Let's hope us Northern Hemiphere viewers get the best look-in, the last half dozen bright comets seem to have favoured the south!

EDIT- hey I can edit posts again! Thanks Admin!!!!!

Sounds interesting. Lets hope it lives up to it's billing. I recall Kohoutek being a very damp squib and Halley was a let down for many in 1986 too. Luckily I had a decent scope back then so was able to actually see it, which many did not !

PANSTARRS is only predicted to reach just below mag 0. This one sounds like it could be incredibly bright - possibly brighter than a full moon. Exciting stuff!

Panstarrs only magnitude zero! :grin:

That will be the brightest I have seen.... until the other one comes along. Let's hope the predictions are good.

PANSTARRS is only predicted to reach just below mag 0. This one sounds like it could be incredibly bright - possibly brighter than a full moon. Exciting stuff!

March 2013 - predicted apparantly - possibly very exciting year on the comet front next year.

http://www.space.com/15108-comet-panstarrs-skywatching-countdown-2013.html

Lets hope this will be a good one. I've never seen a naked eye comet. I was too young when Hale Bopp and Hyakutake came round. McNaught and Lovejoy weren't visible here.

March 2013 - predicted apparantly - possibly very exciting year on the comet front next year.

http://www.space.com...tdown-2013.html

One more object added to my observation list for SGL 8 then :)

Archived