Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New superbright comet on the way?

Simms

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell that to the poor dinosaurs.

Have we humans decided yet if it was an asteroid or comet that killed them off?

More likely to have been an asteroid.

The latest I've heard is that the comet or asteroid impact only contributed to their demise, along with a dwindling food supply and a parasite or micro-organism that spread rampant among those helpless dinosaurs :huh: Of course it's only a present theory since another theory says we humans wern't running around yet at that time :grin:

Added this to Stallarium, looks very promising, though at its brightest (mag -8 ish) its going to be very close to the Sun and not observable. Still should be a show though, Hale Bopp was my last decent one :)

I may have got this wrong (in fact I have most likely got this wrong) but I thought that the impact crater of the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was buried over the thousands of years so it is now in a cave.

I'm pretty certain you've got that wrong ant and as I understand it the asteroid impact is only a theory amongst several others.....sky tv it's a wonderful thing

Looking forward to this one, especially now ive got the gear to take a snap of it. All I had for Hale Bopp was the Mk1 eyeball, this time it would be nice to take away a momento of such a rare occasion (didnt think I would get to see another).

Edit: While im on the subject of taking a snap of it, maybe there should be a primer (in the imaging section) in regard to imaging comets? I wouldnt know where to start! :)

Archived