NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Sept 22nd f31

Space Cowboy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a thought stuart, do you use an auto focuser? if not how do you manage to get such a crisp shot? i have to admit to struggling with the focus.

Fitting a motorised focuser was one of the best things I ever did to improve my imaging. If you don't have one and you have trouble getting focus, I'd really recommend it. It changes the process from "Is it good enough?" to "Exactly how tight can I manage?"

James

just a thought stuart, do you use an auto focuser? if not how do you manage to get such a crisp shot? i have to admit to struggling with the focus.

pete

Thanks Pete!

Yes I've been using an auto focusser since the spring it certainly makes life easier especially at these focal lengths. You can really concentrate on the Planet which stays rock solid instead of it dancing around the screen whilst focussing. Whether my images have better focus than before I'm not sure but at least I know I've got the best out of the image on that given session. Yep I used the DFK with 5x powermate & Extension tube (SW 2X barlow with lens removed).

Thanks Atlas & Virgoman!

Fitting a motorised focuser was one of the best things I ever did to improve my imaging. If you don't have one and you have trouble getting focus, I'd really recommend it. It changes the process from "Is it good enough?" to "Exactly how tight can I manage?"

James

Cheers James, yep you've hit the nail on the head re focus!

Hi Stuart your best result so far. very nice. you really are the man getting the best results using auto dobs in the uk i think. The drizzle version does seem nicer much more natural. What i dont understand is why you dont use less strength on the wavelets at normal size. I am pretty sure you could get similar results. But with more careful sharpening. Drizzle will just force you to be easier on the wavelets because it affects the wavelet strength pe se. I am not sure there is any other reason. Though i could be wrong.

Yes its an electric focusser not a true "auto".

Thanks Simon!

Cheers Neil. I'm sure since I've stopped using a dew shield and OTA shroud (reducing thermal disturbance) my images have improved with more "pop" to the detail. Neil I've tried different wavelets with none drizzle shots but have not been able to match the 1.5x drizzle results.

Here is another better later image from 6.27am (1st images were 6.24am). Again 1.5x drizzle 2000 frames stacked.

gallery_4016_230_97788.png

I agree sheilds do seem to upset the images somewhat. Though ive got to use one when its bad. Or its bye bye secondary. Do you blow dry it then now your not using one ?

My collimation problems are getting so bad. The scope is almost getting unusable. Im now makling it 1st on the list to fix. Or my imaging is over, spending more time chasing collimation than actually imaging now. The laser is going off about half inch sometimes. just putting a camera in. getting unworkable.

That last one is even better. showing great detail. looks like you had a good night. But things will get alot better than this in the coming weeks, when its 50 arcsecs and brighter. Your going to get some real stunners close to opposition. That much is clear. At 41 arcsecs uk, 10" optics, this shot shows how good you have got, class act.

My collimation issues are making me think im going to stop untill its sorted. Got to hurry 50 arcsecs is looming. Got to find a focusser that fits now. Might start a thread here.

Well done on a excellent capture

Thanks again fellas!

Yes Neil I simply blast the secondary for a few secs with the hairdryer. You could always cut a porthole in your OTA and do the same as me. :smiley: That must be frustrating dealing with moving collimation. The sooner you get that sorted the better.

Here is the first shot of that session taken at lower fl of f26 and including (according to stellarium) Ganymede, Callisto & Amalthea :

gallery_4016_230_56524.png

Archived