Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clavius mosaic 08-09-12

Nick Smith

Hi Guys

Another image from last Friday/Saturday morning. I have my nice 24" Samsung monitor hooked up to my laptop now so, hopefully, the processing should be a bit better than my last attempt. If you click on the image you will see the 80% resample of the original image (I was finding the noise a bit hard to handle!) Let me know what you think....

original.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes please share details! This is an amazing mosaic.

Thanks guys

The scope was a C14, the camera an Infinity 2-1M with red filter. The seeing was obviously pretty good. This is pretty much the same imaging set-up I have used for four years. Processing, in this instance was Avistack 2, wavelets in Registax 6, followed by levels/contrast/resampling in PS.

Cheers

Nick

What sort of mag are we looking at with these pics.

Iv never seen any thing as good as this before.

Awsome.I have a the C11.I persme your using a

barlow, to get this close.Impressed. What F/L

are we looking at Nick.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

If you have a look around you will find plenty better than this...

This was a C14 with a 1.8x Barlow, so the F/L is about 7 metres. The mosaic is an 80% resample, as it was a bit noisy. Also, with CCD imaging, you can't really think in terms of magnification. The image scale depends on the camera: the smaller the pixel size, the larger the image. I used to have a C11 as well. It is an excellent scope. This image here was taken with a C11. Back in 2008 it was the Sky at Night Hot Shots overall winner, which was very

surprising as Lunar shots never win anything!

original.jpg

Better Nick ? Maybe higher focal length. But better ones out there ? At the focal length your working at here. It just looks so sharp. Natural and contrasty. The C14 version really blows my mind. Yes ive seen higher focal lengths. But this processing just looks amazing. Its quite dark. the blacks are inky black. If i tried that, it would look too dark. Yet here it seems to set off the pin sharp perfection across the intire mosaic.

Would like to say i am learning from this. i normally feel that i am. But all i know is. I am doing quite a lot of things wrong. Your doing everything right from what i am seeing. I need more practise. its not just about focal lengths is it. Perfection is perfection. Regardless of focal length. Just love this C14 shot. I thought i understood levels from a eye perspective. Clearly i dont. looks like you dropped blacks. And raised the luminence throught it. Something ive been trying. But never looks right ? back to school me thinks. Sorry i had to comment again. After another knock me sideways look

Just amazing work Nick. And to think youve been away from it for sometime.

Archived