Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Teesside

Biggz

Hi!

I'm a long time lover of space and science without ever taking it more seriously than watching Space/Science documentaries.

I am a keen photographer and have decided to mix the two.

I've found out there's an Observatory (Wynyard Planetarium & Observatory - Less than 5 miles away!) that gives talks and open nights on Fridays, and I'll be in attendance.

Is there anyone else from around here on SGL?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. You mention an interest in combining the pleasures of photography with space and science which is something that many here find pleasure in doing too. Before purchasing any kit towards that end, may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you can view here. It's a very comprehensive guide into what kit you need and why you need it to create the level of imaging that will best meet your expectations. Generally, planets and the moon are best imaged using a webcam whereas deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae involve the accuracy of a very good mount that can track these very faint objects for long enough to collect sufficient data to create an image. The book is modestly priced and will certainly save you money by helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit. In providing a necessary overview, it will confirm what you are letting yourself in for which hopefully will yield more fun than frustration! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum,

James

I've seen the book "Making every photon count" recommended in numerous places and you've just reminded me to order it! I've also heard good things about FLOs service, so with any luck I'll get delivery tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip.

David

Hi

im Paul, im not far from you, i live in newton aycliffe, your welcome to pop round any time and welcome to the forum.

Paul J

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the offer, I might well take you up on that offer!

I work in Bishop Auckland and travel through Newton Aycliffe often.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I hope this is okay asking here. I don't want to clutter the forums up and I can't post on the FLO thread in the supplier section.

anyway... I cant access their site from home, I get the following error:

You are not authorised to access the web page at http://firstlightoptics.com/. You may need to sign in.

However, I can use the website fine from work, and managed to place an order.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing similar?

Archived