NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

orion is up :) 5am

Daniel-K

up for work yesterday morning at 5 and there was orion in the dawn sky quite low but still above the roofs didnt manage a peek but its a good sign hopefully this autum/winter will be colder and clearer ! than last year

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching Orion rise a bit earlier than that, around 04:00 am roughly a week back with my bino's at work. I could see Betelgeuse & thought it was Mars until I saw Rigel too, (how silly did I feel). That has got to be the silliest mistake I think I will ever admit to, on here anyway. I blame the red ha ha. Whoops!

• 2 weeks later...

For a beginner like me it's one of the most recognisable formations to get your bearings. When I start star hopping it will no doubt be one of my landmarks (or is that skymarks :grin: ). Got up at 4am to see if cloud had cleared, but it was raining :embarrassed: Oh well, maybe tonight.

Tis the sign winter is a coming!

Was up last night for a quick squint at Jupiter and of course the Pleiades were riding high, although some thin cloud out east didn't do the Sisters justice. Trees obscured my view for Betelgeuse/Rigel but by the time I went back in I could see Venus and the Twins rising.

Happy days follow dark nights :D

Orion is one of the few that I remember from being a kid out on the back lawn looking up at the sky. Don't know why but it has always stuck with me.

40 years later and I now have a telescope and that was the first thing I pointed it at early in the year.

Nice to see its return.

Archived