Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shakes a fist at the sky!!!

Davie

After receiving permission from the boss to head out tonight i looked out to see a near perfect sky :-)

alas when i headed out to start setting up it looked like somebody had drawn a line across the sky

20120817_213330.jpg

unfortunately it was only arriving and not leaving sorry about the picture quality as it was only taken on the phone

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its got to the point now weather wise where im dipping into my telescope fund to buy some ps3 games since it doesnt matter what the weather is like outside at least can get to play with them, lol

I got that desperate today took one mount apart and rebuilt it then stripped the orion ota down and realligned everything including focuser it did'nt really need it but .5mm is .5 of a mm.

I need to have a whinge more often :)

just back in from 1 1/2 hours with my new (to me) 200pds .... I should probably have mentioned that a new bit of kit was involved shouldn't i?

Can't believe how many stars there are to see compared to my old 130/900. Wanted to stay out for the arrival of Jupiter over the fence but didn't think that would be wise. Another month or so and Jupiter will be back into view at sensible times :grin:

A week????????

Its been cloudy for months here.

Serious? The week or two building up to the Perseid's shower was fine, lovely clear skies...This time last week is when the clouds moved in, and not a single visible star in sight.

The weather in my part of Wales has been so bad this year I'm contemplating going back home when I hang up my hat next year. Since March I have had two good viewing sessions. For the rest of the time its either pee'ing down or the sky's too light.

The weather in my part of Wales has been so bad this year I'm contemplating going back home when I hang up my hat next year. Since March I have had two good viewing sessions. For the rest of the time its either pee'ing down or the sky's too light.

Yeah. Tell me about it! Wet here again today. One short session since I got the scope months ago (and that was cut short by biting bugs!) Wondering whether astronomy and Wales are two words that shoild not appear in the same sentence :shocked:

Jason

Wondering whether astronomy and Wales are two words that shoild not appear in the same sentence :shocked:

Jason

There's two words I'd use for the weather in Wales, but I'd probably get banned for using them. :rolleyes:

If the weather holds, we might get some breaks in the cloud Monday night. However, next week more cloud and rain, on Saturday night Thunderstorms. Oh joy. :angry5:

Hi same down here in Cornwall just wet and grey for what seems like months and months, scope was being used by everyone for hanging things on just like those bits of gym equipment that we buy and use once lol, now put it back in box will try again in another 40 years, although I ,hopefully, will be a bit closer to the stars by then with better visibilty lol

gordon

Those were the worst nights when i was working the graveyard shift. I would look up and the night sky would be so clear and I was able to see the stars and planets from the middle of downtown Anchorage- but EVERY SINGLE weekend, the whole entire time i was on that shift, it was cloudy and stormy. It was like someone had a weather machine and was playing tricks on me!!

Wonders never cease. Managed half an hour of star gazing last night before clouds rolled in about 22:50. Tried out new 32mm eyepiece for the first time but the air was very turbulent.

Looked to check if it was the ISS I saw last night this morning and found this site: http://www.isstracker.com/ , which gives a heads up of the position of the ISS. Also saw two statellites crossing the same piece of sky heading SSE.

Hope others in the West managed to get some viewing time in as well. Tonight may give another opportunity, again if onlt short lived.

Wonders never cease. Managed half an hour of star gazing last night before clouds rolled in about 22:50. Tried out new 32mm eyepiece for the first time but the air was very turbulent.

Looked to check if it was the ISS I saw last night this morning and found this site: http://www.isstracker.com/ , which gives a heads up of the position of the ISS. Also saw two statellites crossing the same piece of sky heading SSE.

Hope others in the West managed to get some viewing time in as well. Tonight may give another opportunity, again if onlt short lived.

That shows how much the sky can vary, doesn't it!

I can't be far from you, living in Swansea. I carried my scope out to cool at abou 8.30. Wispy clouds in sky, but overall blue.

By the time it got dark all I could see was clouds. Checked again at regular intervals until I gave up and went to bed. Maybe it cleared in one of the short periods when I wasn't swearing at the sky.

I was getting into bed 23:30 then I received a text from my mate, who lives at a great darkish rural location about 20 mins away from me. The text he sent read as follows "thousands of twinkly stars and no moon to be seen" (he doesn't do astronomy). So seeing as I can't remember the last time I got the kit out (rubbish cloudy summer) I decided to place it lovingly in the car and head over to his place. Not that easy as it meant four carrying trips from my first floor flat to my car 60 metres away. However, I could see the sky was clear so I started to get excited!

On arrival there was a few wisps of cloud but generally clear above... So, I started to set the gear up (it's been a while)... I was well impressed with myself for getting over there and set up so quick...But then the cloud cover spread!!!!

I was back home in bed for 01:20 wondering why I love this hobby so much!!! Roll on the Peaks starparty at least I won't be wondering alone!!!!

Got myself an NEQ6 at the end of June, since then I've had 7.5 Hours telescope time in July, and 10 hours this month, It's really flustrating. I want to start some serious imaging, I think the longest spell I have had was just over 3 hours at the beginning of July, other than that, it's been between 1 and 2 hours before the cloud comes rolling in.

Archived