NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Messier 22 Region

Nightfly

Located near the top of the Teapot in Sagittarius, Messier 22 is a huge globular that is big enough to be prominent in wide-field images. Compare its size to the tiny M-28 to the lower right of the frame. Messier 22 is plainly visible to the unaided eye, even when low on the horizon on a clear dark night.

This view was captured by an antique(1975) 300mm f/4 Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar lens attached to a Pentax Spotmatic II (1973 era) exposing for only 15 minutes @ f/4 using Kodak ED200 slide film. To be sure, star images are not perfect as there was no ED glass when this lens was made, but nice nonetheless.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

ED200002HC2cc2.jpg

Thank you all. Objects are so bright in this region, relatively short exposures capture lots of detail. It is a little low for me at my +44.5 North latitude. The whole region is deep sky playground. Go are far south as you can Andrew. Lots of great stuff in Scutum and northern Sagittarius!

Tom and Gina. As always, I'm appreciative of the feedback. SGL is my favorite forum because of its friendly enthusiastic members.

Sp@ce_d, I don't need to tell you what a great camera the old Spotty is. It has been my go-to camera since 1984. I keep a roll in it most of the time.

I hope this post gets people out to look at, or image Messier 22. The grandest globular visible from mid-northern latitudes IMHO.

Tom and Gina. As always, I'm appreciative of the feedback. SGL is my favorite forum because of its friendly enthusiastic members.

Sp@ce_d, I don't need to tell you what a great camera the old Spotty is. It has been my go-to camera since 1984. I keep a roll in it most of the time.

I hope this post gets people out to look at, or image Messier 22. The grandest globular visible from mid-northern latitudes IMHO.

I think I still have my old Spotty, as you call it, in a drawer somewhere - may have a play sometime :)

Not bad for a guy that taught me everything he knows - and I still know nothing. Nice work Jim - Love the Spotty. Hope it encourages others to bring out their old friend once in awhile.

igor

Not bad for a guy that taught me everything he knows - and I still know nothing. Nice work Jim - Love the Spotty. Hope it encourages others to bring out their old friend once in awhile.

igor

If you know nothing, then I did not teach you anything :grin:

I still enjoy 35mm, but Medium Format is king. I'm low on Elite Chrome 200 in 35mm. I will have to run the last roll through the Spotty soon. A final dedication to the craft perhaps.

Great work Jim!

The object is rarely imaged.

Is there such thing with film as flats?

Mark

One can process a frame as a flat and use it as a mask to eliminate vignetting. It has been a routine task for years in post processing. No flat was applied to this image as there is too much in the frame to pull it off. One could shoot a sparse area of the sky and easily get a flat generated using PixInsight DBE. The generated mask or flat could be applied to any image taken with the same film / setup.

If you know nothing, then I did not teach you anything :grin:

I still enjoy 35mm, but Medium Format is king. I'm low on Elite Chrome 200 in 35mm. I will have to run the last roll through the Spotty soon. A final dedication to the craft perhaps.

Jim you taught me a lot - I just cannot remember anything after a pint or two of the black stuff.

Archived