Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi to one and all

urbancruiser

Hi

Well where to start...always being interested in Astronomy but never really had the time or money to get into it where I could enjoy it....but having bought myself a decent camera Nikon D3100 last year and just ordered a Skywatcher 150pds EQ3 Pro SynScan telescope...still waiting for delivery, this week hopefully, all i have to do now is read up and learn how to use telescope and along with the combination of telescope and camera. So i would appreciate any pointers to which books or software would help me on the way to getting the enjoy out of both the telescope and taking photos of what i am seeing. Have to tell you that i am a complete novice at Astronomy...only know what I have seen on TV and read....so will need all the help i can get :grin:..... something like Astronomy for Dummies :rolleyes: .

I live near Reigate in Surry and have read that there is a few places close by that are suitable for Stargazing...Leith Hill, Headley Heath and Holmbury St Mary....but if anyone knows of other places that are suitable, that would be a great help.

A bit about myself... will I am a Aussie that is married to an English Rose :grin: have been in the UK for 6yrs now and loving it...(except for this summer or the lack of it). I work for a small company that helps the Elderly and Disabled to stay in their own homes by providing a Handyperson Service and minor to major adaptations to their house....we are a Community Interest Company. I am a member of the National Trust and English Heritage and have travelled thoughtout the South East and Devon, also some areas near Inverness, Scotland...got to say, loved that area.

Anyway...more than likely given more information about myself that you wanted... :p so will stop now and wait for any replies.

CYA

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't do any AP myself but 'The Backyard Astronomer's Guide' is a good intro to astronomy in general and has three chunky chapters on astro photography.

It's a pricey enough book but you'll probably be able to get a copy from your local library, or have them obtain one for you for a nominal fee. The book also has its own website - http://www.backyardastronomy.com

Good luck with the new scope!

Mike

Hi and welcome aboard. Astronomy for dummies is actually not a bad book. Also Turn Left at Orion, I have heard Make Every Photon Count gets really good reviews too, The Backyard Astronomer, the list just goes on. Also download Stellarium for your p.c. its free and will tell you exactly where to find things in the black beyond. Good luck with your new scope & I hope it arrives soon. Clear skies when it does, that will make a nice change.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome...(which is different to the weather we are having) After posting my message yesterday, i did a bit of research and looking on the net for books and ended up getting Beginner's Guide to Astronomy, The Backyard Astronomer's Guide and The Night Sky Month by Month (Astronomy), got them at a good price (used good cond.) Also found the Stellarium for the PC and Iphone along with Star Chart and Go SkyWatch also for the Iphone.

Got email today saying that my Telescope and Filters will be turning up within 48hrs and my 7 - 21 zoom eyepiece and T-ring for Nikon camera will be following shortly... can't wait, feel like a kid on xmas eve lol. Just have to hope for clear skies now.

For now i will have my nose in the books to try and learn as much as my poor old brain can take in lol... Dare say that i will be visiting the forums for advice in the near future..

Thanks again for the welcome... lets hope for clear skies soon

:grin:

Archived