Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 2012, 360° Rotation Animation

Hi,

Visitors may be interested in viewing my Mars 2012 apparition rotational animation that can be seen at;

http://www.skyinspec...ns(2369874).htm

The video was created with the help of Winjupos and Virtual Dub, from an albedo map from the apparition that I also compiled in Winjupos. The map is shown below.

Under the map is a comparison between one of the images used to make the map and a matching frame from the animation. I have worked hard to get the rotation video to be as smooth and natural looking as possible.

Cheers,

Martin

Mars 2012 Albedo Map MRLewis v2 resized.jpg

Synthetic versus real 24-3-12.jpg

You realize of course that now you have to put together a tute :)

Not sure about a full tutorial but intending to put some more info on my website in the next few days. This will be once I have done a little more tweaking and come up with a slightly more accurately coloured version of both the map and the animation. Going back to the original images and comparing critically with the map separately in red, green and blue to do this. Thanks for everyones kind comments anyway- it spurs one on.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to let everyone know that I have spent much time in the last month making improvments to my Mars 2012 Albedo Map and Mars Rotational Animation to better match the surface details on the orginal images and to remove some minor artefacts introduced during the blending process.

The attached image shows a comparison between the original 7 images used to make the albedo map and frames from the animation video at the same CMs. The video was was created in Winjupos from the albedo map from the 7 images- so making the whole process go full circle.

Hope you like the new results which can be seen at;

For the new Animation; http://www.skyinspec...ns(2369874).htm

For the new Map; http://www.skyinspec...ps(2376972).htm

Regards,

Martin

Real%20v%20V7%20video%20synthetic%20compilation%2026thFeb%20to%2025thMar.jpg

I must have missed this before Martin but looking at both the original animations and the latest ones I have to say that you've done an absolutely first-rate job of them....!

I preferred to drop the scale back quite dramatically to watch the animations but that's just my personal preference for the sharper definition - they are immaculately done with stunning smoothness and consistency - congratulations for a top effort once again...!!

I have toyed with doing the same with my own sequence of Mars images taken around opposition but have so far baulked at the huge workload that requires - another reason to applaud your efforts!!! - but once work pressures abate I might get stuck into it.....your own work here is a real incentive!!!

Once again thanks for these postings - very, very fine indeed....!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my posting. It is a lot of work to produce these and my particular difficulty is my red green colourblindness which has necessitated lots of temporary colour saturation increases to help see issues of monor colour anomalies.

I must also send great praise to Grisha at Winjupos without who this would not have been possible- Winjupos is an amazing program that just gets more and more powerful.

Martin

Archived