Hello there!

claireabelle

Hey,

I have been wanting to visit a planetarium for a while and the closest to me is the Wynyard one.

At the (very high) risk of sounding like a dunce, I'm wondering if I've the right idea of what a planetarium is in mind. Would anyone who is familiar with the Wynyard one mind just letting me know what goes on there? :rolleyes:

I'd also like to pop along to the observation point (from September onwards I believe). Do people also 'star gaze' here? I've never done anything like this before and it's not a hobby of mine so I've no equipment, but rather something I'd enjoy doing now and again.

Are you a welcoming bunch for a novice girly who will more likely trip over your telescope then offer anything to the group ;) (I kid...hopefully)

Anyhoo, many thanks for reading.

Claire

(p.s...is this predominantly a male thing or do woman hang out here too? =P )

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Claire and welcome to the forum. You might want to see

his 'advertising teaser' (their words not mine :grin: :grin: ) video which explains a little of what they do. Effectively a planetarium show is a projected film on to a domed ceiling which you the audience sit beneath and you will be shown how the night sky works, the mythology and where some objects are. There are some shows out there that are brilliant and others that are just informative but I would recommend that you go along as it will give you a good start in understanding the night sky. What you might like to consider is downloading your own. It's called Stellarium, it's free and you can find out the details here. Lots of great features to play about with and will certainly help you start to identify things before you venture out observing in September.

Clear skies for now

James

Hi Claire (from one of the girls),

Everyone here is very welcoming, novices and experienced alike. If you have any questions just ask and I'm sure someone who can help will answer.

Helen

hi claire, you will find the guys at wynyard very helpful, they usually bring their own scopes (usually 12" dobs) and set up in the car park for anyone to look through. THAT is where the real fun begins. my first real look at saturn was at wynyard and believe me that is a wow moment you will never forget.

pete

Hi, and welcome from one newcomer to another :)

Not visited the planetarium you mentioned but can remember going to one on a school trip many years ago (might have been the madame tussauds one i london, really cant remember its that long ago) and was pretty impressed.

Archived