Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SPM and the Sky at Night

stevetynant

All this talk of replacing dear Patrick and not being able to understand what he says when he's still very much here and most likely still enjoying being on the program. It really isn't a nice thing to be doing to him you know.

I only hope Patrick doesn't get to see threads like this. I wonder how any of you guys would feel if everyone was to start publically talking about replacing you with someone else in whatever it is that you've done all your life for people.

I think he is quite aware of his own mortality - at one point he said on show of one event that he wouldn't be around to see it - and Chris Lintot said 'ohhh you never know' which was a moronic comment quite honestly. Patrick Moore has still got all his marbles and some of other people's as well, if you ask me.

His speech isn't always ultra clear but it's not really a problem. If only he could slow his speech down a little it would be great, but after all these years it's not going to happen...!

But the real problem I see is that nobody can replace him. Who will enthuse people about astronomy in the future? Like I said previously, his contribution cannot be overestimated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the real problem I see is that nobody can replace him.

Patrick simply can not, nor ever wil be replaced.

If the Beeb think they continue the show for another 50 yrs...............best of luck to them.

It will not be the same.

Honestly...........i am NOT a fan of Chris Lintott. I'm sure he is a top bloke, but NOT the person to fill Patricks shoes. I just have never warmed to him.

Honestly................i think the best tribute to Patrick is when he shakes off this mortal coil...............let the show go with him.

S@N is his show..............................it can never be the same without him.

i agree with paul, id end the long running show when he retires. start a whole new programme from scratch,as another poster suggested maybe quarterly. have out "in the field" sections and equipment reviews along with the what in the sky sections.

been talked about afew times on here now and always has very mixed views , good thread.

Honestly................i think the best tribute to Patrick is when he shakes off this mortal coil...............let the show go with him.

S@N is his show..............................it can never be the same without him.

Maybe, when that sad day comes, they should make Stargazing Live a monthly thing rather than an annual thing.

What about the Magazine though?

The magazine would continue as it has a good name for a magazine. Astronomy Now seems instant where S@N is the great name for a astronomical magazine.

As for the TV, maybe every quarter and having what is going to happen and what is there at that moment (bar any doomsday asteroids). The BBC if they lose it will lose a great resource and a good chunk of their viewers. Stargazing Live and S@N arethe only thing we all have with can be seen as less than 1% of all output from the BBC dedicated to Astronomy itself. But with Prof. Cox and the rest we do have a foot in the door.

I hope they retire the programme whenever Sir PM decides to call it a day. It wouldn't be the same and personally i do not think any of the support presenters show any promise of being the anchorman.

You have to wonder if the beeb know this and is why they have a second astro programme with Stargazing Live. I would like them to put everything into that personally with Brian Cox at the helm. He has an enthusiasm and watchability that all (Sir PM aside) the S@N crew lack.

I am amased the BBC have not just dumped him. I love the program and SPM It goes to show that even the BBC have a heart. I believe when it is time for a change then another amateur Astronomer should take over. I believe Pete Lawence would be able to do the job, he seems to have the same way about him as Patrick. He is also a good imager which seems to be an area rarely vitised by the program .

I am amased the BBC have not just dumped him. I love the program and SPM It goes to show that even the BBC have a heart. I believe when it is time for a change then another amateur Astronomer should take over. I believe Pete Lawence would be able to do the job, he seems to have the same way about him as Patrick. He is also a good imager which seems to be an area rarely vitised by the program .

Perhaps what saves S@N is maybe an ultra low budget and being shown at the backend of nowhere. No real savings to be made by axing it and a time slot they dont't care about.

I am amased the BBC have not just dumped him. I love the program and SPM It goes to show that even the BBC have a heart. I believe when it is time for a change then another amateur Astronomer should take over.

Maybe they are but they know that it will destroy the format and they will have to really work at the programme just to get it to what it can be. The S@N is an institution in TV and taking it away will make everyone wish to have it back. But in the end it will continue but with a major rework and trial and error with it being held together with good intentions.

Possibly swimming against the tide here, but I hope S&N is revamped and made more academic than it currently is. I'm a little unsure who its target audience is these days, it seems to be too 'geeky' for the newcommers, but likewise too light filler for those with a serious interest in astronomy. I find it doesn't really cover stargazing properly anymore (though not in same league as the mistitled 'stargazing live') and it's news items are often simplified rehashes of news that most people with net access would've of likely to of seen weeks before. The Internet has changed everything and it's a little silly to have news that's old.

I can't see them (BBC) going down the academic route so it leads me to believe we're going to see more of a Stargazing live style program, possibly every quarter, not because the BBC want to cater for the serious astronomer, but because people like BC bring in the viewers, plenty of the girls I work with like those programmes (Wonders, SGL) becuase he's in it, not the subject content and freely admit to doing so.

If by some miracle the shell of S@N is left running I'd like to see Pete Lawrence presenting it.

I fear dark days ahead for the amateur astronomer.

As enthusiastic as I am about astronomy, I think tagging S@N as the cornerstone of TV is a bit strong!

It's interesting to me that these threads, which pop up every now an then, are often referring to a show that in my opinion already doesn't exist; S@N in the 70s and 80s (earlier maybe, but that's as far back as I go...) with the benenfit of the world interest in the space race and the space age, and SPM on top form. I also think people forget that it was the programme that, by giving him a showcase for his huge talent to inspire and enthuse, made him a household name and not the otherway around. I say this not to knock SPM - far from it - but just to point out that I am sure there is someone else out there who could be good if given the chance...

The Top Gear anology is another good one. Those of us that remember a show that did honest(ish) car reviews, a bit of technology, bit of coverage of some motor sport maybe... all delivered in a 'sensible' BBC2 fashion... know that the current show could not be more different. The decision was taken to change it from a motoring show to an entertainment show. It's been massively successful and has many times the number of viewers the original show had, but I hate it and miss the old version! A question for us is whether the BBC will continue with a show aimed more or less at the amateur astronomy community (no matter how infreqent, low budget, or what slot it is shown in) or will go more popularist. It's not a straightforward argument as I think shows like Stargazing Live have done a great job of exposing astronomy to new people (which is what SPM manged in is hayday, but wonder if S@N manages now...) but S@N can get into some more nuts and bolts stuff that is great for the amateur astronomy community but which the general public might not enjoy...

So to round off a rather long post, I hope that when SPM does retire the Beeb will keep a show aimed squarely at the amateur astronomy community...

I watched S@N on a recorded on the Virgin box also. Best thing is I can still understand SPM wile some on here have said they can not. Maybe my ears are different. The 40 minute version was excellent, but the 1 hour could be a wonderful thing to watch even if the news is a few weeks old.

The Top Gear anology is another good one. Those of us that remember a show that did honest(ish) car reviews, a bit of technology, bit of coverage of some motor sport maybe... all delivered in a 'sensible' BBC2 fashion... know that the current show could not be more different. The decision was taken to change it from a motoring show to an entertainment show. It's been massively successful and has many times the number of viewers the original show had, but I hate it and miss the old version!

Bring back Wiiliam Woollard I say!! :grin: :grin:

I agree that the Top Gear analogy is spot on although it's easier to make entertainment out of cars and motoring (and travel) than it is astronomy. Everyone can relate to the topics in a typical Top Gear show and generally speaking there's a finite set of niche topics if they were to stick on topic only talking about cars and covering motoring-enthusiast events. And we all know they'd have a much smaller audience too.

Perhaps when S@N is refreshed or it ends, another channel will take up the mantle.

My hope is that we will have a show - somewhere - dedicated to visual observation and imaging of the heavens rather than general science popularisation which although we can never have enough popular science, at least one practical show is needed too!

.Perhaps when S@N is refreshed or it ends, another channel will take up the mantle.

My hope is that we will have a show - somewhere - dedicated to visual observation and imaging of the heavens rather than general science popularisation which although we can never have enough popular science, at least one practical show is needed too!

I think Mike is quite right in that it is more important to at least have an astronomy show/s on TV than to retain a programme which in many ways is no longer as relevant at it once was. Star Gazing Live was a bit of a farce in some ways, but it did bring astronomy to a great number of people, and I am sure that astronomy is a better place because of it.

Maybe, when that sad day comes, they should make Stargazing Live a monthly thing rather than an annual thing.

What about the Magazine though?

I quite agree with this. This has been the lifes work of SPM and I think nobody, no matter their credentials, could replace him in the same way. Or at least it wouldn't be the same S@N, therefore it needs something new.

Stargazing Live is fresh, modern and I think much more accessible to people who aren't already astronomers, thus more likely to breathe new life into our hobby across the nation. Just look at the massive number of people who have rushed out and bought telescopes every February for the past few years after the show has aired. I think making this show a monthly installment to replace S@N is the way forward for the BBC, maybe that was their intention???

Someone ask Patrick what he thinks!

This ^^

Patrick Moore is a legend and is the Sky at Night.

I do fear that when he retires the BBC will cull the show in it's never ending quest to save money. What narks me is the stacks of rubbish on BBC 3 and 4 that may well be favoured over this show.

I quite agree with this. This has been the lifes work of SPM and I think nobody, no matter their credentials, could replace him in the same way. Or at least it wouldn't be the same S@N, therefore it needs something new.

Yes I think I agree with this too, so long as they did replace it with something new that was also aimed at the amateur astronomy community.

Stargazing Live is fresh, modern and I think much more accessible to people who aren't already astronomers, thus more likely to breathe new life into our hobby across the nation. Just look at the massive number of people who have rushed out and bought telescopes every February for the past few years after the show has aired. I think making this show a monthly installment to replace S@N is the way forward for the BBC, maybe that was their intention???

...agree with the first part - and I too do wonder if the Beeb had a replacement for S@N in mind when they commissioned Stargazing Live but I think intrinsicly they serve two diffent purposes... My fear is that an excuse for not replacing S@N when SPM finally retires will be an annual 3 night Stargazing Live...

Archived