SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SPM and the Sky at Night

stevetynant

Just look at the massive number of people who have rushed out and bought telescopes every February for the past few years after the show has aired.

Oddly enough I got my first scope in February but I have never seen an episode of Stargazing Live.

I will certainly be watching next years series!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very old and frail man in bad health. Personally, I think he should relinquish the reigns of the show now and perhaps should have done this several years ago. It's occasionally painful to watch his ego being massaged in the way you describe. There is a difference between respect and sheer deference. I often see a group of people surrounding him in the chair and Sir Patrick only contributes the odd, sometimes obvious fact. He would hate that if it dawned on him that this was happening . He won't retire and whilst I would estimate 99% of UK members of SGL probably took up astronomy because of him, he needs to now take it easy in his twilight years, He has been a fantastic servant to the hobby and the industry but now needs to hand over to a more dynamic presenter or two.

Archived