Hello from the Black Country

s7iffler

Hi everyone! I'm Rich from the west midlands...new to this astro stuff! I once had a refractor when I was 12 which I used to look at the moon and was amazed but as I grew older lose the touch. Recently seeing Jupiter and its moons also Venus using just a cheap 60mm spotting scope it took me back to the younger years and was blown away just seeing Jupiter and the moons..WOW!!

I have a young family so on a budget really, we travel a fair bit down to Devon, Cornwall and Wales and have seen some great clear skies! So looking for something portable maybe an ETX80...any recommendations much appreciated....... anyways enough of my babbling on lol

Cheers

Richard

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome, RIch!

Good you've got the bug back! Sure plenty of more folk will be along with loads of advice on scopes - I use an 80mm refractor for when I go away, but even then I mainly use some 10x50 binoculars for ultimate "grab and go"; no mount no fuss :).

Welcome to SGL.

Unless you really need the mount that comes with the ETX80 (it still has the computerised mount, doesn't it?) I'd say go for a simpler mount and bigger scope. Perhaps a 100mm refractor or one of the smaller Maks on an AZ3 style mount. Or even one of the smaller truss-tube dobs.

James

Archived