Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Winter Or Summer, What's The Difference.

Bluey

Just had to let off steam. It seems to me that we don't really have seasons any more, just wet and cloudy, dry and cloudy or cloudy and cloudy. I haven't really had a good night for what seems like ages now, even when it looks pretty clear there seems to always be a high haze, or the moon!

Pity we can't tow the whole country to a much more pleasant part of the globe, sunny days and crystal clear nights, is there such a place? Apart from Essex obviously.

Anyway, feel better for sharing, going out to do more cloud study now, bye.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather people on BBC News channel, say its gonna be unsettled all next week..its looking like we are going to get a couple of nights a month, if this is global warming, its not going to get any better...

Winter is cold and cloudy, summer is a bit warmer and cloudy. Spring and Autumn are unsettled and cloudy.

Who needs the met office and a weather forecast?

Do you recall last Oct (I think) when we had a week or so of fine, clear, warm nights?

By day 4 everyone was complaining of losing sleep and staying up to observe.

Damn we are never happy.

Even if it is cloudy at this time, it never really gets that dark for serious observing. Still light here at 10:30pm.

I have had a great season of viewing until May and so can't complain too much about the number of clear nights over the past months.

The summer has admittedly got off to a false start but I am revising (in between posts here) for exams on the 13th and am quite happy for a few more days of untempting weather.

Fingers crossed for a great July and August.

i can almost guarantee perfect weather in the UK from 24th july til 19th august . Thats when I'll be in Australia where there'll be cyclones, floods etc. you can all thank me later. :rolleyes:

I'd second DKD's thoughts above, up to the end of April I managed to record some sort of observing 1 in every 4 nights. Doesn't mean I like this weather though. At least it is around full moon this time and not the other way around.

I remember the October clear spell, ahhh those were the days.

i can almost guarantee perfect weather in the UK from 24th july til 19th august . Thats when I'll be in Australia where there'll be cyclones, floods etc. you can all thank me later. :rolleyes:

No wish to spoil your holiday, but I hope so on the good weather in the UK part. Its usually a wet week wherever we go, which will be Cornwall 4th - 11th August - be warned if your headed that way hehe.

It's traditional that it rains in Cornwall during the summer though :)

James

Grrr never used to be when I was a kid (why do I always remember it hot when I was there as a child)

It isn't the weather forecasters fault, but the newspapers. They get the whole nation fired up by saying we are going to have a barbeque summer et all and everyone believes it everytime. I have never believed anything that the papers say anyway. The best you can expect is to watch the Countryfile forescast on a Sunday night and look at the 5 day forecasts and hopefully get an idea from that. In anycase it isn't an exact science and for the papers to say stupid statements like this summer is going to be fantastic is utter rubbish and for people to believe what they say. Well who is the stupid one???? No one can predict what the weather will do for weeks or months in advance.

In answer to your question though, October through March, as the nights are longer and invariably when it is clear and cold you get a better view of the sky as the atmosphere is calmer (mostly) and the seeing better.

Hopefully next year i will be guaranteed clear skies for a week, we are going back to Egypt to Luxor. There is a company there that do stargazing trips into the sahara desert, Taken out by minibus, enjoy a Beduin meal then observe using a meade 16" scope, sounds like heaven. Costs about £35 well worth it. Mind you knowing my luck there will be a monster sandstorm. lol

It's been bad here in NY too. Much like the UK. SWMBO is angry because the clouds are stopping the tomatoes from growing. There's only been one weekend in the last 6 months when I felt the conditions were good enough to justify the long drive to the dark site.

Pity we can't tow the whole country to a much more pleasant part of the globe, sunny days and crystal clear nights, is there such a place?ously.

Where can we get a tug that big though? Outboard motors would do the trick and Essex would be the perfect place to put them :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Where can we get a tug that big though? Outboard motors would do the trick and Essex would be the perfect place to put them :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Thats because Essex is the engine room of the country :)

You'd think with all these big fans they keep building in the countryside that they would be blowing the clouds away.... :p

wind4_1822348c.jpg

Can I order one 10 000 feet tall for my back garden :) One that rotates too...

Archived