NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello!

Tony Rodda

I've just joined the Lounge and was prompted to say a few words. So, unaccustomed as I am...

I really got started a few years ago when I picked up a cheap goto Celestron 80mm (which I still have) and decided to convert a very, very old engineering degree into a modern Astronomy and Astrophysics degree (mainly with the OU).

Now I have a Astro degree (having just published some research and awaiting a publishing date in the BAA Journal) and have acquired a particulary nice STF Mirage 180 (1/8th wave) in a permanent observatory - shed with a removable roof.

My mount is an LXD75. I know, I know... I'm saving up for an HEQ5/EQ6. There's a glut of new mounts on the market and I'm hoping someone wants to sell a nice example.

To be fair, I'm 'only' really interested in photometry and so only need two minute mono exposures or thereabouts. I can stack other stuff. I don't need the super long exposures for those great pictures I keep seeing. I've found that if the LXD is set up well, aligned properly, you balance it properly, you don't slew on max speed, use the 'precision' routine and 'synch scope' regularly - it works fine. It tracks well (after a Hypertune) and I even got it to track/guide using a spare DSI. Still going to change it though.

I've invested in a couple of Johnson filters (but bought 25mm dia so I now have to find out how to mount them in 1.25" rings!). And filter wheels, etc.

I've just acquired an SXV-H9 - and can't get it to work. See my other posts.

The grand plan is to use the SXV-H9 + filter-wheel on the STF for variable work and other photometry; put a web-cam or similar on the Celestron (it's already piggybacked using custom made rings from Ken Dauzat) to use as a guide scope and hey presto.

What I've found works well.

I've found Stellarium really useful (especialliy with all the nine star catalogues downloaded). I love Guide 9 simply for it's scientific value. I'm a big user of AIP4WIN (even after using MaximDL) at university. Helios 10x50 binoculars - worth their weight in gold. FITS Liberator from the NASA website. That dinky CCD programme from New Astronomy. The OU remote control robotic observatory. Burnham's (thre volumes) and Uranometria. Had fun with Star Analyser.

Things that keep me awake (apart from the kids)...

What the heck is ASCOM? Why would I need it. What's Guidedog/PHD? Ditto. I get really confused when things aren't truly plug-and-play and people start talking about building software stacks. Especially when the words 'architectures' and 'drivers' are used. Is there a "Build a guided mount and use your camera + software for Dummies"?

And I have no idea how to use Photoshop.

What's the better camera control and image acquisition software (now that I'm getting rid of Envisage) for multi camera control and guiding- AstroArt or Nebulosity?

Enough for now.

Regards

Tony

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived