Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shopping Lists

Naemeth

We all know Astronomy is a very expensive hobby, but I don't think I personally really considered how expensive it would be. I started off thinking I'd just need a scope, and that would be it... then I needed a solar filter and light shroud... now I've just bought some EPs.... then it's going to be more EPs....then a Telrad finder.... then filters.... then larger scope.... etc

So I was wondering, how long are each of your Astro-Shopping Lists?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That depends on whether we're talking about the shopping list I ought to restrict myself to, the shopping list I'll actually allow myself, or the shopping list that I'd like to be able to afford :)

At the moment there's nothing I'm desperate for, but there are a few things on my "pick them up if they come up for the right price" list and there are a few others that I'm keeping off any of the lists by cobbling them together myself.

James

I agree it can seem expensive and there are a lot of things to tempt you. Once the chips are down, though, it's not as expensive at it first seems. You can accumulate the odds and ends slowly over time and if you take care of them they'll last a lifetime. Optics don't change much over the years so, unlike modern electronics, there's little obsolescence. Even eyepieces, where most of the change has been, don't evolve all that fast. Naglers first appeared about 30 years ago, for instance, and they're still considered high end eyepieces today. An Ethos is nice but if you don't have one you don't feel like you're missing out (I don't, anyway). The low-end eyepieces are now of better quality and more affordably priced than they used to be. With astronomy your investment depreciates little and there are low recurring costs. In comparison, try insuring a sport bike...

Probably the biggest change we've seen recently at the telescope end is the trend to faster optics. That's improved portability, which is a major boon. At the same time these optics are cheaper than they've ever been, as China has figured out how to make good quality mirrors at a reasonable price. I was reading a description if what it was like to get into astronomy in the 50s in the US. The author described how he dreamed of getting to look through a 6" telescope--they were so rare--and a 12" was a mythical beast. Nowadays we can all go to the local club and look through scopes bigger than 12". WIth judicious saving, most people can afford a 10" or 12" Dobsonian and that's the sort of scope that lasts a lifetime. Unless you're really keen there's no reason to upgrade from such an instrument.

I got to say, after buying the Scope and Mount, i have spent as much again on EP's, Telrad, Camera, latest addition a Tablet, the aim is for the present scope to do imagine, and a Tracking Dob for Viewing, size and weight of the Dob to be decided, but bigger than my 250mm, so my pocket money is tied up for another year, but its something to aim for.....

There's a few things left on my list (for now), as I went on a spending spree a few weeks ago :)

I still want a 32mm GSO Plosll eyepiece, an adapter to plug my CPC1100 into the car when we venture out to darker skies in the winter and a decent sized stool to stop the game of twister I have every viewing night! :D

This is why sites like this are so good, as there is so much good advice for all levels of astromomer to be found within!!

I have made some expensive purchases in the last few years that I really shouldn't of, but I think i'm in a place, equipment wise, that now suits my own level...........Well, until I change my mind again that is :-)

It is so easy to become a little obsessed with all the gear and forget about actually using it!! I know clouds and bad seeing conditions don't help. I have been guilty of this - the Skymax Pro 180 that I used once in a year being a prime example!! That scope has now gone to a good home with someone who is using it to it's full potential! I even found myself with an Ethos 13mm eyepiece, which was wonderful to use I must say, but, actually way over the top for the amount of times I actually got out to use it- I actually found it a little too large and awkward to use in my scopes to be honest, but the views where awsome!! That too has had move on to someone who will use it more than I. Must say I think my little Naglers are just the job for me now, stunning views, when conditions are good, but also nice and small and easy to swap in and out of the scopes!

Have I waffled on a bit here? Sorry....:-)

Doc

It becomes more expensive when you start buying the things you want not the things you need.how many of us have 6 or more eye pieces but only regularly use 2 or 3 tops.I think it stops becoming as bad when you realise your passion for astronomy has been surpassed by your compulsion for collection.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I reckon theres plenty we'd like to get, I just blame the suppliers who give you the basic items with your scope such as the useless RDF on my astromaster, then the standard EPs!

They get us to buy the better equipment separately so its not our fault ;)

Where to start????

Guidescope. & camera

Dual mount bar

Oh and I would really like a binoviewer - Then if I got those I'd better double up on some EP's

Probably need a.better mount if I want to try imageing so NEQ6 or maybe one those AZ EQ6's or EQ8's ??

Really like those DFK Planetery cams and is my DSLR really up to deep sky imaging.......

Need I go on. ???????

(oh yes & maybe a monopod for my bins)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Ive come to the point were I refuse to think about things in too much detail. Whenever I sit and ponder the shopping list just grows and grows. Im now faced with a dilema of either getting shot of my little Revelation 80mm or turn it into a guidescope...but then theres the problem of mounting it...rings or dual vixen bar? Then theres the actual guidecam itself....dedicated or webcam?...Hmmm what software....Sheesh this is just an example and see.......You've set me off :grin:

Chris :icon_salut:

.I think it stops becoming as bad when you realise your passion for astronomy has been surpassed by your compulsion for collection.

That's it I'd say Steve, most of us don't need that extra stuff, we observe objects and reckon, "Wow, imagine what that must be like through an Ethos/Nager/etc etc". That, and some folk like new shiny gear.

Bart

I have had the same eyepieces and scopes for almost two years now. I could probably eventually change my 32mm TV plossl for a 24mm Panoptic and my 15mm TV Plossl for a 16mm T5 Nagler but that's about it really. luckily I am not into imaging.......

thankfully I can make much of the stuff I need so I'll be re-doing my observing seat in due course and might convert my 16" scope to a truss version.

I think for me at least, it was a case of not realising how much was actually out there, but through experience I know what I can do without (I'm not contemplating a Nagler/Ethos for a while now), and know what is more important and what will make things ultimately a lot more convenient (such as a Telrad). The beauty of it is though, everything can be built up slowly.

How long is a piece of string? :eek:

I still need a;

lp filter,

dew shield,

better 10mm ep,

better 20mm ep,

15 or 16mm ep,

25 or 26mm ep,

UHC filter,

flight case for kit,Then it all starts again,

BIGGER, better scope,

all those eps again,

and filters again,

dslr camera,

then start to get into ap and the downward slope gets steeper! :grin: :grin: :grin:

D.C

I think a couple (or three) eyepieces (but nice ones) and a couple of filters.

That should see me right for a good while...

Shouldn't it?

I think?

Or maybe...

Well, there is that space at the end of the garden. So perhaps a nice dome obsy, a pier, an neq6, a nice big, fast apo frac, a nice big fat CCD chip, guidescope, a new computer to run it all...

Wait wait.

No.

Two or three eyepieces and a couple of filters.

That's all.

Really.

It's vicious this hobby. If the weather's good, there's never enough time (or darkness) to see what we want to see with the equipment we have. When it's bad, there's a never ending list of things we want/need to enhance those brief periods actually using them.

I've given up fighting, within reason. I'll buy what I can afford and not worry about how many times a year I get to use it. I'm only here once, but happy if I get to use my kit more than once :D

Next significant purchase for me is a solar scope in the autumn but I am not sure if it'll be a PST or a Lunt 35. Probably the Lunt. Then a DMK-41 at Christmas. With those two I will be able to 'do' everything I want, or at least have a go at it.

I will probably pick up a couple of things on the way as and when I see them at reasonable prices SH: Baader solar continuum filter, 2.5x Powermate, possibly a couple of Celestron X-Cel LX 12mm EP's.

Then for me it's on to the big stuff but there is no time frame on these yet: mono CCD and filters, 16" Lightbridge, 4" f/7 APO, Lunt 60THa-B1200

I need a couple more EP's and a Powermate and thats it!

Awww and saw some Buffalo Salopettes the other day, I want to be nice and toasty this winter so warm winter kit is on the cards. :)

Archived