Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 300p Flextube Auto

I only picked this up yesterday, so these are the scope in it's original state. I hope to add piccies when it gets flocked, bits get added, etc.

Apologies in advance for the mid-hangover morning attire and puffy face. I just thought it would be handy to show how big a 300 Dob is against a normal 5' 10" bloke of 13 stone - The camera appears to add 3 extra stone....

The 200p OTA is included for exactly the same reason and in real life, it looks even smaller when the two are parked together.

Russell

post-23184-133877776778_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776787_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776792_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776797_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776803_thumb.jpg

post-23184-13387777681_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776816_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776821_thumb.jpg

post-23184-133877776825_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks the part eh? And they are indeed huge..... I was surprised how big mine was when it arrived, you will be (I was) delighted with the views it gives you. I have seen objects through my 300p that I have never seen before visually, the cats Eye Neb. for example...... Stunning little planetary neb. with a very distinct star right in the centre.

Gary

That will be my next step up in a few years - thanks for posting Russ - one of our observing members in the S Wales group brings his to our sessions and the views are indeed fantastic - he's upgraded his to a 16 Inch Dob - if I had the cash I would buy his 300p but never mind - enjoy your scope its a fantastic piece of equipment.

Russ one thing One thing you could let me know - how wide is the Dob base - do you have any problems getting it through the doors in your house or is that something that only effects the 400p?

cheers - enjoy

Steve

That will be my next step up in a few years - thanks for posting Russ - one of our observing members in the S Wales group brings his to our sessions and the views are indeed fantastic - he's upgraded his to a 16 Inch Dob - if I had the cash I would buy his 300p but never mind - enjoy your scope its a fantastic piece of equipment.

Russ one thing One thing you could let me know - how wide is the Dob base - do you have any problems getting it through the doors in your house or is that something that only effects the 400p?

cheers - enjoy

Steve

The base is about 600mm diameter. It fitted through my front, back and two internal doors with plenty of room to spare and that's in a house built in the sixties.

The 400 is, if I recall correctly, about 750mm diameter and that is going to challenge all but the newest build houses.

Russell

I was a bit concerned about the base before I bought my 300p flex tube, but actually it is fine, the handle helps, it fits through the door, and sits nicely in the boot of my compact hatchback car.

I think that would be as big as I would have- my gardens not going to be big enough to accommodate anything bigger and I guess a 300p would be as big as you could reasonably hope to transport on your own?

Don't think I'd go for Goto personally though - enjoy the challenge (which is why I have so few Messiers in my list lol)

great looking scope and convient with the flextube arrangement. my home made 16" has a square base which is about 550mm each side so actually smaller (and probably a lot lighter) than your 12" base!
That is true, but I'll bet your corners stick out further.:)

Russell

I think that would be as big as I would have- my gardens not going to be big enough to accommodate anything bigger and I guess a 300p would be as big as you could reasonably hope to transport on your own?

Don't think I'd go for Goto personally though - enjoy the challenge (which is why I have so few Messiers in my list lol)

It's not a GOTO - It's an Auto, which stands for Auto tracking. You still have to find stuff, but once found, it stays put in the FOV for longer. There is no downside to that idea.

That said, I have picked up a Synscan handset. Nudging a Dob is not a spectator sport and when the extended family is round, just wanting to see stuff, GOTO is jolly handy.

Russell

I was a bit concerned about the base before I bought my 300p flex tube, but actually it is fine, the handle helps, it fits through the door, and sits nicely in the boot of my compact hatchback car.
What car is it? The base won't fit in the boot of my Ford Kuga and that is a less than compact car.

Russell

It's not a GOTO - It's an Auto, which stands for Auto tracking. You still have to find stuff, but once found, it stays put in the FOV for longer. There is no downside to that idea.

That said, I have picked up a Synscan handset. Nudging a Dob is not a spectator sport and when the extended family is round, just wanting to see stuff, GOTO is jolly handy.

Russell

Not against Go To as such Russell - in fact I've set up a Push to solution on my own 8 Inch - just get more of a rush when I find things myself really. Each to his own and I can see lots of advantages to go to - cracking looking scope though - we've got clear skies outside now might pop out for an hour or two = looking forward to your first light report with the new addition

Clear Skies

Steve

Archived