Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

who is planning to see the transit of venus?

petermarknimmo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a location not far from where I live but my Dad (who will be taking me) thinks he knows a better location!

We're going up to the Bwlch (between Treorchy and Nantymoel) if you want to join us. We'll have a range of different solar scopes available too.

Helen

I know the main point of the transit is when Venus is in front of the Sun but will Venus still be visible after it has passed in front of the sun? I was just wondering this as it make an interesting image with the sun just to the side of the planet.

I was planning to. I built a set of filters for my scope. But after looking for where the sun rises and just how short the window of opportunity is on SkySafari, I pretty much think it's out of the question. I just don't have the line of sight that low to the horizon.

But it looks like the weather is going to screw it up for us anyway.

I was planning to. I built a set of filters for my scope. But after looking for where the sun rises and just how short the window of opportunity is on SkySafari, I pretty much think it's out of the question. I just don't have the line of sight that low to the horizon.

But it looks like the weather is going to screw it up for us anyway.

I have a 60x Practica spotting scope, what would be the best thing to use to make solar filters for it?

Doing a dry run to a location 15 miles away that will be IDEAL...if it's all systems go I'll make the filter and set up the scope. I've told whoever is coming with me to go to sleep in their clothes as we will be hitting the ground running when the alarm goes off..

As an incentive I had said that whoever comes with me will get a full English breakfast upon their return. :hello2:

I have a 60x Practica spotting scope, what would be the best thing to use to make solar filters for it?

I used Baader Solar Filter sheet (A4). It came with instruction on how to construct the filter.

I know the main point of the transit is when Venus is in front of the Sun but will Venus still be visible after it has passed in front of the sun? I was just wondering this as it make an interesting image with the sun just to the side of the planet.

Just wondering if everyone knows as it is getting close now and I probably won't be able to get the transit.

Just wondering if everyone knows as it is getting close now and I probably won't be able to get the transit.

I wouldn't have thought so as only the unlit side of Venus will be towards us and it'll be swamped by the sun.

Skymap & Stellarium give venus as magnitude -3.7 to -3.6 for the next day which seems pretty bright, but next to the sun it isn't. I took some shots last night to test the solar filter on my camera lens and venus didn't show at all. The FOV with a 200mm lens was plenty - it is there, just too dim compared to the sun to show in 1 shot.

Archived