SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

who is planning to see the transit of venus?

petermarknimmo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will you see it with just solar eclipse glasses, or do I need a solar scope?

You should be able to see it as a small dot with eclipse glasses, but for a really good view I would get some baader astrosolar film and make a filter for your scope.

Roughly an hour from breaking the horizon , luckily Venus will be at about the 2 'o' clock position so visible pretty quickly after.

Check it out on Stellarium fror your location.

I checked that stellarium times sunset 5th june 10pm start of transit and ends around 4am 6th june around 4:50am

If weather stays clear i mite be able to see start of it on sunset and then early next morning with sun rise to see end of transit possible.

thats if weather keeps away.

the start of the transit will not be visible in the uk, only the end will be visible just after sunrise

the start of the transit will not be visible in the uk, only the end will be visible just after sunrise

so just sunrise think have all me stuff set up in front bedroom just damn telephone cables hanging over so probably see them if lucky mite see bit never know worth trying.

may also set telescope or skycam on top me outer house concrete roof.

I can see horizon from me front window but only problem is telephone cables hanging over how good view will i be able to see from middlesbrough uk northeast.
I too have a good NE horizon from 1st floor bedroom window and hope to setup my PST+cam for view - weather permitting:p Haven't told wife when it will happens but she'll probably sleep through it if I'm not too noisy :)

I'll be here:

Durlston Country Park

It's the only place I could find near where I'm staying on holiday with a good North East horizon, looking out over the bay. Wessex Astro Soc are running an event there for the transit, so weather permitting it should be good.

I'm doing a trial run at Whitby this weekend if the weather stays good - google-mapped post code is YO21 3HA - I'm hoping to set up near the Whalebone arch / statue of Captain James Cook - think that'll give me enough visibility to the East but may need to shuffle down onto the beach if not. Not much height above sea level but definitely got a clear line of sight! :)

I'm doing a trial run at Whitby this weekend if the weather stays good - google-mapped post code is YO21 3HA - I'm hoping to set up near the Whalebone arch / statue of Captain James Cook - think that'll give me enough visibility to the East but may need to shuffle down onto the beach if not. Not much height above sea level but definitely got a clear line of sight! :)

That looks like a good spot - can you get on the harbour piers? Although the walls might get in the way.

I'm heading somehwere similar - Broadstairs Marina which has a car park with a good N/E view. There is a pub on the cliffs a couple of miles up the road which I'll have a scout round the evening before as it may give better views from a higher point. But I've gone to the extravagant lengths of booking into a hotel close to the harbour and setting up there should be pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on weather here northeast uk middlesbrough where i am at it is cloudy dull wet

so hopefully glad it's like this weather now as possibly weather may clear in next few days over weekend for jubilee have bbq and then get telescopes ready in front bedroom ready for me viewing for sunrise just over some houses ready for venus transit :hello2:

I will certainly be giving it a go now that I have worked out a good viewing spot. I'll be taking my scope, baader film, zoom eyepiece - umbrella! :p:D:clouds1::):hello2:

The best of luck everyone!

James

Archived