Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

who is planning to see the transit of venus?

petermarknimmo

Just wondering how many SGL members are planning to see the transit of venus on the sixth of june? My baader astrosolar safety film has been ordered so I will be giving it a try. That is, if the weather holds afterall, we do live in britain!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

planning to go to the south west of glasgow and higher than the clyde valley with clear views to east [sunrise is aboout 4.35 and sould see the transit from 4.50 till 5.30 if i remember right ]hopefully cloud free [as i need to get up at ohmy oclock ]

I had hoped to but still don't have a scope.

Can binos be used? Are there appropriate filters around for them?

Yes they can and you can make your own filter :http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/construct_binocular.pdf

I substituted thin plastic for the card for a bit more durability.

We are on a camping holiday on the North coast of Devon so I will not be able to use the 'scope (no room to pack it!).

It's not the ideal location regarding East/West (East is best) but I think I'll have a clear view out to sea to the horizon in the NE/ENE direction so cloud not withstanding hoping to get a glimpse.

Will probably leave everything ready to get out fast.

The sunrise is reckoned as being 4:42 for London, so guess about the same here, Cambridge area.

Need to identify a decent place to park up and observe from, have one in mind.

Just depends on our good reliable weather now.

Cliff top car-park, Mappleton, East Yorks. Hopefully have the same luck as I did in Cornwall 1999, when a hole in the cloud cover uncovered the sun just before the start of the eclipse, and then covered the sun just after the end of the eclipse. Magical!

Steve.

A long planned trip, nothing to do with the transit fortunately means I'm going to be in a country with a good view in the morning. Much better than the UK. Provided the rain holds off. It is the rainy season!

I'm planning to take the WO80 on a portamount. But if the suitcase gets overloaded it will have to be hand held binos with astrofilm.

I plan to take a look. Whats the safest way to do it? I don't want to use my scope, because I've never done any solar observing and I really don't know enough about it.

I am planning on a trip to my brothers house (more open area) I'll be 100 miles west of my house (I'm in the Chicago burbs) The transit starts here at 5:04 pm till about 8:30. I have my Baader filter built and have everything I need to photograph it. I don't think I'll be buying the Celestron f/6.3 Focal Reducer / Corrector Lens I wanted as it's almost 130 bucks. That would allow me to see the entire surface of the Sun at one time. But I still think it will be fantastic.

I can see horizon from me front window but only problem is telephone cables hanging over how good view will i be able to see from middlesbrough uk northeast.

probably do few tests before hand with horizon before june test things working.

start testing on 4th june, then 5th / 6th

Archived