Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

who is planning to see the transit of venus?

petermarknimmo

I'm planning to try and see it. I've got some 'solarscope' thing I borrowed off somebody, but I'd prefer to use the projection method. Only problem is that I've got a 3 inch telescope but only a 4mm eyepiece which might be a bit tricky...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedronski - that's just showing off :laugh:

Yeah, well It all looks like a waste of time. But I will still get up and walk up the hill to the playing field at the local here (Aston), hoping to see something. I'm not even sure I'll have line of sight, I'm just trying to get as high as possible. I don't drive so it's got to be walk-able from where I am and as pretty as Stevenage is ;) there's just too many buildings and woodland in the way of the horizon.

For that reason I'll only be using the 20x50 bins. I tried them out and the disk of the sun fit's nicely in the view. I saw some dark patches on the sun. I assume these could be sun spots but I'll have to read up on it. So here's hoping there's a break in the cloud to observe the event.

At the end of it all I'll be able to observe the sun any time in the future as long as I look after the filters.

Me! Me!

Homemade solar filter - check!

Clear weather predicted from sunrise 4.30 to the end of transit - check!

Good spot on the eastern coast - check!

I'm really looking forward to this and feel really sorry for you guys with poor weather predictions. You are most welcome here if you hurry.

Regards and good luck!

I am at my chosen location and it is raining cats & dogs :-)

It was nice this afternoon as well. Forecast for the morning is wall to wall cloud cover but I'll set up anyway just in case. Would never forgive mysrlf if a miracle happened and I missed it.

Well it's horrible here right now, cold and raining BUT I've just checked the BBC Weather site and where I want to observe it's showing cloudy with clear patches for 4am onwards! There's a chance!! Better load the scope into the car tonight, looks like it's on :D

Right.

Set up spot scouted out (Bostal Road)

Battery packs for both mounts loaded & tested. Netbook charged.

Car loaded with both mounts, Skymax 150, Canon EOS 350D (battery charged, remote release tested, card emptied), EF 70-210mm or M42 200mm f3.5 with 3x converter, Solar filters for scope, finder & lens, eclipse glasses, table, chair, gazebo.

Hot water vacuum urn set to go + instant coffee. Batch of M150 made.

Alarm set in case of sleep.

Patch of clear sky possible in our area at the right time.

What are the chances of my car being nicked this evening? :rolleyes:

Aaargh. Eyepiece case (phew :shocked: )

Currently raining determinedly, and metoblue and BBC both showing complete cover at the critical time. I'll set the alrm to wake up at the right time and make a decision then.

Not optimistic

old_eyes

Car is almost packed, just got to charge my camera battery and not forget my SD cards (that's almsot happened before lol) and find a case for my EPs and I'm ready. Getting excited now LOL :D

Got out of sleeping bag accompanied by the pitter patter of rain on the tent. The rain stopped and I grabbed the binos and chair and headed out to a cloudy sky, however the sun peeped through and my first glimpse was Venus just about touching the edge of the solar disc. More cloud and then another glimpse of a semi-circular black Venus as the transit ended. There's no way I'll be around in 2117 for the next chance, so well pleased with my observations, however poor the conditions were :D

Sounds like I did the right thing. Watched it for a couple of hours last night on the Live Mount Wilson Observatory feed. It was amazing, and noticeable absence of black drop when the planet moved to second contact at the start of the night.

I got my kit all ready the night before and then got up at 4.15 in the morning to find that it was completely cloister over. Then to add insult to injury when I woke up at 9.00 this morning it was beutiful and clear!!! :-(

Let's just hope I'm around in 105 years time for the next one.

Archived