I have joined early hours like to say Hi

darc

As Above I would like to say hi,

I am new to sky watching and have just bought myself an S/W 130d I do need tips of how to get the best out of this if any one

can help I would be great full.

Geoff:icon_scratch:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Steve, Just need to no the best times to have a look out and although i have the S/W 130p that is motorized I have not got the big controller just the small one that does not have the goto on in it came with a 10mm and 25mm e/p's should I think about getting more e/p's to get more from my scope.

Geoff

Well first off Geoff, any time it's clear is the best time to be out under the stars there is always something to see. No matter what time of night it is.

Stellarium this is a worthwhile (free:)) download to help you see whats visible any time any where.

This book also comes highly recommended

Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them: Amazon.co.uk: Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis: Books

I would just use the kit supplied with the scope for now. Get a 'feel' for how it all works etc

HTH

Regards Steve

Hi every one, Thanks Steve for you advice I was out most of last night but could not seem to focus on anything in particular there were lots of stars about but i guess they were all to far for me to get a focus on.

Geoff

Hi and welcome I envy you in a way as those first couple of weeks seeing things makes for some great nights out.i would just learn the scope and how to use it ,then start to mod and all the rest

Clear skies always

Hello Geoff,

As some have said, best thing to do is get a feel for the scope first with the supplied EP's and when you're ready, post on the advice section to get some tips on where to go next.

I would also suggest you look at www.ngc891.com which has some very good printable star/constellation maps with stars & nebulae to seek out. Having a little direction and focus on some of the more visible Messier objects will increase the sense of reward and awe you will no doubt feel when you find something in the scope that you can't necessarily spot with the naked eye.

Saturn and the Beehive Cluster (in Cancer) are some sound starters for now and readily visible at the mo. Many more to go at thereafter, but these two are just my suggestions for now. There are many others if you choose to have a nosey.

Good luck :)

Scott.

Archived