NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to site

Baz Pearce

Hi UK star gazers.

I'm new here today from Bolton, Lancs. Was directed here from the Astronomy.com forums, RE: the epetition on LP. Done and done :)

Lets all hope we can get somewhere with it.

I have an Astromaster 130MD EQ3-2. I'm pleased with the optics but the motor was next to useless, and the mount isn't any better. I'm hoping to get a goto AZ4 mount soon. Can't afford another OTA yet, but a 5" MAK would be nice when i can save more cash.

As for light pollution, you can see what i have to deal with here:-

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (3 images). Making planetary imaging rather pointless!

I have a Philips SPC900NC flashed webcam. I'm having reasonable success with Solar (baader film + ir cut filters), and Lunar imaging.

Albums on photobucket:-

Moon pictures by BazPearce - Photobucket

Sunspots pictures by BazPearce - Photobucket

Looking forward to some fun with more local amateurs here, as they are spread quite thin on Astronomy forum.

Regards,

Baz.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Baz and welcome to the forum. The Astromaster scope isn't a bad performer but your right about the mount - way too twitchy, and the red dot finder - way to bright. I like the sound of the proposed new mount and the Mak is a very good performer, you would have a very combination with those two. Look forward to your questions and general chat.

Wishing you clear skies in the meantime!

James

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad you like my Sun/Moon shots. I'm lacking a lappy at the mo so i'm stuck on my balcony for imaging for now, all my cash is going towards the new mount first. I forgot to mention in my intro that i'm a regular watcher and broadcaster on Night Skies Network where i have gotten the nickname the Machine because i always seem to be on. It's a great place to chat and enjoy views of the sky when the weather is at it's usual worst at home. I can't do DSOs like the big boys with their expensive Mallincams, or even track an object. I have to reach out to keep the scope up with an object, so i do easy Solar/Lunar shows mostly. Every now and then if the seeing isn't too bad i will play "astropong" with a planet for a laugh. It's completely free to watch as a guest or a member but you have to sign up for viewer/broadcaster account to chat with others. There are broadcasters form all over the planet and a show can start up at any time of the day. Not many Brits casting though, i'm hoping some SGL members might join the fun soon.

Baz.

Archived