NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Sussex

wyx

Hi been lurking for a while. Don't have a scope yet but the night sky has always fascinated me and I have been inspired by a recent trip to herstmonceux observatory! Im hoping my kids will find it interesting too. Still deciding on a first scope.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Wyx! I went for a Skywatcher 200 Dob after browsing this site and getting advice. Someone not a million miles from me decided he wanted to go for imaging more and went for a Skywatcher 127Mak. Guess it depends what your interests are. I also spent a few months with binoculars and probably should have used them a bit longer before taking the plunge. My only advice, as I'm a complete beginner myself, is to take your time and try out different scopes if you can before buying.

Hello and welcome to SGL. When I was a lot younger, my grandad lived near to Lancing and we had several trips to Herstmonceaux. Back then, the Isaac Newton (90+ inch) telescope was there. Thankfully, it has now been sent to the Canary Islands where the skies are more favourable for such an amazing telescope. Looking forward to hearing how you get on after choosing a telescope. Another option is a decent pair of binoculars and a tripod. Very portable and good if you need to hop in the car for a dark sky.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good idea to take your time and do the research. Hopefully that will include some observation evenings with your astro club or observing group so you can get your head round what the difference all those specifications make at the eyepiece. Please keep your questions coming.

Clear skies

James

Hi Wyx and welcome to the lounge, you will be amazed at what you can see through a good pair of 10X50 bins at a dark site and they are an excelent way to learn your way around the skies as is the free planetarium download Stellarium, try it hear www.stellarium.org/ .Dont rush to buy, ask and try.

Clear skies.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Where in Sussex are you Wyx?

Know of a couple of events in the next few weeks where you are more than welcome to come along and try a few scopes.

Wow didn't expect so many 'hellos' so quickly, seems like a friendly place. I'm in Battle specifically in a small village nearby, Catsfield. Skys seem pretty good here. Yes that would be kind of you to let me know what's on in the area!

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a member of Worthing Skywatchers and we hold regular obs events.

Next one is 21st April at Goring Gap then on the 22nd we have obs in Findon village viewing the crescent moon.

If you can get down just for a taster of scopes on offer you're more than welcome.

I won't be there Saturday tho due to a previous engagement :)

Archived