Tal 150p, out of date nowadays?

Hi there,

I've been looking around asking for advice on my first scope and originally wanted a Skywatchers Dobsonian.

I then came across Tal telescopes and after reading about their quality build and optics I decided to go with one.

However, two retailers I spoke to today steered me back towards Skywatcher scopes!

They said the Chinese scopes had caught up with the Russian ones and the reviews I was reading were old ones and out of date.

Has anyone got any ideas what I should go for?

I want something that will not disappoint, or that I will want to upgrade soon.

I like the idea of the Tal as it has a really solid construction and comes with fairly decent eyepieces and Barlow as standard.

I have seen A 150p for £290 delivered and was told that that was complete with pedestal and accessories.

Thanks I advance,

Rob.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you may find you were being steered away as the supplier did not supply TAL? It depends what you really want of course but they are very well build and are very good quality (based on reports of others not my own use).

An advanced astronomer I know used a 6" Skywatcher Dob for years, as his only scope. Mind you, he had a couple of Pentax eps that he used with it, but he showed me the best View of Jupiter that I've ever had. Skywatcher quality is pretty good.

I bought a TAL 150P from FLO a few weeks ago. I can't compare with anything as it's my first scope.

I chose it because a lot of people said the optics and build were top notch, once collimated they hold their collimation well, and I particularly wanted a pier mount rather than a tripod - less chance of enthusiastic children tripping up.

It is certainly very solidly built and I have enjoyed using it on the five clear nights we've had since it arrived. It's probably not as portable as a tripod mount (5 mins to take the legs off the pillar and refit) and its not upgradable to a driven mount (needed for imaging DSOs).

£290 is a steal if it comes with all the bits, I paid £360.

These links might help:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/103712-tal-150p-v-skywatcher-150p.html

Tal 150P Newtonian Reflector Telescope Review

Russian telescopes: 150 mm, f/8 newtonian reflector TAL-2, telescope for amateur astronomy

I figure whether you go for Tal or Skywatcher, you're going to get a really decent scope that will last you many years.

I was in exactly the same boat as you, but in the end just followed what my heart was telling me. It went refractor and it went Tal and I'm in love with my scope.

Like so many others have said with the Tal range, there is something magic about them and I don't think I would ever part with my own.

Yes, TAL's are very decent scopes. I have had both TAL and Skywatcher, both do a great job.

I would describe the TAL's as having classical appeal. All metal, functional, bombproof and of course great optics. Rock steady mounts come with even the low end models.

Skywatcher tends to be of lighter manufacture, perhaps with some plastic on the cheaper models but perfectly useable and very good optics also. The mounts also tend to be undersized for the tubes, unless you purchase tube and mount separately. But they have done a great job to bring the cost of telescopes right down through the power of mass production by parent company Synta.

I bought a Tal1 in the late 90's and it's still going strong. Solid mount and overall construction, decent optics, great guidescope, and the supplied eyepieces gave me my first up close views of objects I had previously only seen through binoculars. And they were great views. If the scopes in production now are the same as those early models I can't see how anyone could be disappointed with a Tal.

Thanks Guys,

i think I will stick with a Tal then.

Both shops advertise them but really seemed to be pushing me away from them, maybe their profit margin is less with the Russian stuff as it is not so mass produced?

Do you all think the 150p is worth the extra over the Tal1 or 2?

Cheers,

Rob.

east of england binoculars have them and at a great price.

had mine a couple of weeks and on the whole its great, just did not like the finder and am still getting used to the eq mount but the scope tself s great.

did somebody say TAL? :icon_salut:

i have managed to compare the TAL and the Skywatcher OTA's, the TAL wins out on construction, mirror quality and "extras" that you get part of the parcel.

The skywatchers arnt to be sneered at mind, they are a good bit of kit but... if you are on the market for a 6" flec, the TAL would be the better option

I used to have a 4.5" TAL and pier. Rock solid construction and super optics. Gave it to my son when I moved on to bigger stuff. He likes it.

I have a pier with '2M' mount. Again solid stuff. Proper steel screws, thick metal, etc. Almost the only plastic being the toggles on the switches so you don't get electrocuted!

The Tal 2M was my first scope and it gave some fantastic views. (still have the OTA stored away)

Very heavy though! Didn't enjoy humping it up and down the stairs ...

"Ve make like tank comrade!"

I keep the pillar and mount in the workshop at the back of my garage and the OTA under the bed. The pillar and mount alone must weigh about 20kg :icon_salut:

Looks like its definately going to be the 150p for me then, thanks for putting my mind at rest all.

What is the quality of the included eyepieces like?

From what I have read, the 25mm and the barlow is spot on but the smaller on is not quite as good?

Cheers,

Rob.

Archived