Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51L-Ha/R-G-b 2012 finished

MikeD

Finally got the last of the data to complete this image with all new data.

So we have .......

L = 107 x 300 seconds

Ha = 8 x 900 seconds

R = 23 x 300 seconds

G = 21 x 300 seconds

B = 21 x 300 seconds

A total of around 16.5 hours at the scope.

All shot over the last week.:(

Thaken through my skywatcher 10" f4 newt and starlight express HX916 CCD in Swindon with no LP filter.

Time to move on to another galaxy, although I do love imaging M51 as it has so much detail to give up.

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture16588-m51hargb-t5.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see why you love this one, and it sure paid off! Fantastic detail, and the background looks superb! I envy you your skills and I can stare at this for a looong time :-)

Thanks for the inspiraton!

My main weapons against LP are a camping mat dew shield to help stop direct intrusion and mixing Ha data with the red data 50/50 to cut back the LP.

The only other thing I do is to only image LRGB on the cleanest nights.

Mike.

My main weapons against LP are a camping mat dew shield to help stop direct intrusion and mixing Ha data with the red data 50/50 to cut back the LP.

The only other thing I do is to only image LRGB on the cleanest nights.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I use a DSLR at the moment, but I shall have to remember that when (if) I get around to HaLRGB imaging ;)

That's a really wonderful image - well done - so beautiful :);)

M51 is unique, with oodles of depth and detail and with the secondary galaxy, it really is a wonderful subject for AP ;)

Prompted by Ollys stunning rendition of M51, I just had to go back to this data and crank up the colour saturation.

If you haven't seen Olly's M51 it's a must see image.:icon_salut:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery:icon_salut:

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture16733-m51hargb-t7.jpg

Magnificent image. And from a town / City with no LP filter. 16.5hrs, hats off, well done and I'll bet you're proud of this. Glad you boosted the Sat too, with that much RGB it should be no problem.

Tom.

Mike, your galaxy imaging needs no help from me! This has all your hallmarks of impeccable background sky and unforced, 'invisible' processing. I do think the colour boost is a plus and has had no ill effect on the noise or natural feel of the image. Seeing yours I want to soften mine and reduce the saturation.

Nobody does galaxies better than you.

Olly

Archived