Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from a newbie!

Stargazer33

Hi Everyone,

May I just introduce myself to the community?

Although I have been interested in the stars, planets and space since I was a small child, I have only just recently bought myself a half decent scope from an on-line auction site...yes that one! ;)

It is a Skywatcher Skymax 102 and came with a basic 6mm eyepiece which I know pushes the magnification beyond the max by about 12X.

I have since bought 10mm and 25mm Skywatcher eyepieces and I am very happy with what I am seeing at the moment - the cloud belts on Jupiter & the Orion nebula to name but two.

I live on the coast in West Sussex. Although I live in the centre of a medium sized town I have the south downs to the north of me and the English Channel to the south so light pollution isn't as bad as it could be.

I have made myself a camera holder out of a piece of old waste pipe and have been taking some photos with my Fuji F200EXR camera, some just holding the camera up to the eyepiece by hand.

I am currently using a Slik 88 camera tripod but hope to move on to either an EQ mount or Alt Azimuth goto mount within a short time - economy allowing! ;)

I have included a couple of cropped images that I took of the moon on Wednesday evening.

I hope they are okay.

My wife has is now not only a diving widow during the summer but also an astronomy widow on clear evenings!

post-34179-133877740569_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877740579_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877740586_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

So if I have understood correctly, you're only interested in Sky, Sea and S....? :) Yes you've guessed correctly SCOPES!!!!:):D

I liked the pictures by the way and you have done mighty well to get them with what you are using. If imaging is your goal then an equatorial mount is what you need rather than an alt-azimuth. May I recommend a book by Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) that will advise you on all that you need and why you need it to achieve the level of imaging that you're after. Modestly priced, it will probably save you money by helping you to formulate an accurate budget from the start in addition to being a very good instruction guide on how to get good images.

Clear skies

James

Hi SD, welcome aboard. Pics look great. I second the comment regarding Steve's book. I have just ordered it, but take a look on his website 'chanctonbury observatory'. Some simple tips there which have already improved the end result for me. Where on the coast are you?

Archived