Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Wakefield (and)

wella

Hello everyone.

My name is Paul and I'm a mid 30's guy from Wakefield with a wife and 2 kids under 5.

Ive got a sweeping interest in science and also have a science degree. Ive always had an interest in astronomy from the TV and bookshelf but I have just ordered my first scope and I'm awaiting delivery (Nexstar 127 MAC).

I think the interest in the stars comes from my late dad. I can remember when I was a little kid that there was always piles of newspapers around the house that where being saved to help set up or buy something for West Yorkshire Astronomical Society. He gave some talks there and wrote a few papers for them I believe. Strangely I dont ever remember him having a telescope at home.

Currently approximately 50% of my time is taken up with being away from home earning a living working on the rigs in the north sea. I will therefore be happy with 2 or 3 observation nights a month. The weather is already the bane of my life so lets look forward to it being even more so!

Other interests would be photography (see Paul Welsby . com with TiltViewer for a few examples)

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all further.

Paul

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Liked the photos by the way with some nice framing of the shots. You appear not to want to over process the images too which is a nice change - just letting the subject matter do the talking!

Imaging the heavens mind is a little bit different but I'm sure its well within your capabilities if that's the area where you are heading.

Clear skies (....and calmer weather for your work!)

James

Hi Paul,

Welcome on board..

I was interested to see you are working on the rigs...takes me right back I can tell you.

When I finished at university I spent the first 6 years of my life working in the North Sea my. Having graduated with a geology degree, a fairly standard path into the oil industry and petroleum geology was as a mud logger. I moved up through the ranks and got involved in the data aquisition side of things and laterly the early DLWD technologies.

I spent most of my time on semi-subs, drilling exploration wells, but it did spend some time on both the Claymore and Piper A platforms. I thank my lucky stars I was no where near the Pieper A in July 88!

It was a strange life..exciting at times and the technology was fairly awe inspiring. Going to work on a chopper was great for a while...but the novelty did wear off after a while.

I salute you as a family man, it must be difficult..I know its a tough life being away for such long periods..

Anyway..welcome to SGL..

Steve

Archived