Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Regarding our prices

FLO

We are often asked to price-match or to offer discount so we thought it might help if we let everyone know where we stand with regards to pricing.

All our stock is sourced either direct from the manufacturer or from the manufacturer's appointed UK distributor (we do not grey import) so is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. We only stock products that are trustworthy (we can source pretty-much anything but stock only that which we are confident will perform well, batch-to-batch, consistently).

Our prices are fair, reasonable and competitive. We don't advertise 'spoilers' (some retailers advertise a lower price when out of stock then raise it when in stock with the intention of 'spoiling' sales for competitors offering a price-match policy). We don't offer 'free' low quality products with inflated retail prices. We don't inflate the prices of goods sourced from the US (over the last five years we have done more to end this practice than any other astro retailer, and continue to do so). And we don't switch-sell (some retailers have what is essentially a sales funnel where enquiries for one product are converted into another that is exclusive to them and/or is more profitable).

Most importantly, we are not box-shifters. We have invested in premises, knowledgeable staff, stock on the shelves, modern website, SSL security encryption, customer-friendly returns policy, etc. Our after-sales support is the best in the business (some competitors have actually complained that we set the bar too high!). We are setup and operate in a way intended to instil trust and confidence because astronomy products are essentially scientific instruments, not plug-and-play devices, so access to reliable advice and support is essential. Particularly when starting out.

All this comes at a cost so when faced with someone quibbling over a few £ on an order worth several £100 we will probably politely suggest they shop elsewhere. Box-shifters might battle for every sale but we care for our reputation and plan for the future. We look for customers who recognise and value what we do rather than those concerned only with price.

We know we don't always get it right, we are human after all. Recently we struggled to stay on top of enquiries following the tidal wave of communications generated by the BBC Stargazing Live series. During this time we were not able to give our core customers the attention they deserve. This has embarrassed us greatly so we are making some changes. In particular we are moving into larger premises and will be employing another member of staff. There will also be a number of other behind the scenes changes to IT, procedure and policy that should help us serve you better during busy periods.

Thank-you for your support :p

Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very articulate and convincing statement. I'm convinced - though I always was. There's no way in the world I'd buy from just anybody and a few quid will come back to haunt you if you have a problem with gear bought from a bad outlet.

Olly

I do think you have the balance right Steve. The current 'Supermarket' thinking is that goods (especially from China) are cheap and retailers can then mark up hugely and discount heavily. I for one understand that this is not the case and really appreciate the effort that you guys put into running a good and fair business.

Thanks loads.

I just bought an Explorer 200P DS and NEQ6 from FLO recently. While researching, I'd looked at a number of different retailers, but it was FLO's involvement with the forum, and the praise from customers that resulted in my money going to them. While few of us have money to waste, a few pounds here or there makes little difference, but advice and support are priceless. I must have spent a good half an hour talking to Martin about different options. He wasn't a pushy salesman, but instead gave me honest advice about the products, and let me decide. It probably cost him another £140 in goods I didn't buy for now, but I know I'll be shopping there again.

Thank-you :p

Most of you won't remember how FLO came to be. It was born out of SGL. I took up astronomy back in 2004 as a means of relaxation (don't laugh!) and joined SGL for info and the companionship of other astronomers. SGL was a small forum (I was member 50). I became a forum mod, then a global-mod. When buying my own astro kit I wasn't impressed with some of the astro retailers, neither was SGL's admin because they were misbehaving on the forum. SGL reached the size where it needed funding and the retailers weren't interested. I had a retail background but was working in a dead-end job so setting up FLO seemed the natural thing to do. I promised admin FLO would behave and not adopt any of the annoying tactics used by other dealers. That's about it really.

The current SGL sponsor arrangement is hugely important to FLO so we continue to behave :)

Well, most of the time :)

I also ordered a 200PDS OTA and NEQ6pro mount + other stuff. I ordered right after the Stargazing live on BBC which I was not aware off. I am a very impatient guy, so I was ******* Martin...never about the money though, more about timeframe of delivery. When I finally found out that FLO was actually waiting on getting my stuff I quickly apologized to FLO for my impatience.

In all the questions I have had and all the timeframe quibberings, Martin was there to answer everything.

FLO you are an amazing store, and your customer support is outstanding.

And hey Martin, I finally started imaging with the setup and its looking very promising. Thanks for all your advice.

its funny as my wife has just gave me the go-ahead to order a 200P in the next few weeks and from what ive been told, FLO is the cheapest and most reputable company to shop though. So IMO i think you are doing well as a company :p

I have just made my first telescope purchase, having done my own research on here, in stores and come to the conclusion that FLO are about the cheapest you will find, maybe £2-10 cheaper somewhere else, but the advice from Martin and here was indispensible, he even sent me a link to a cheap powerpack coming up, not on their website, how is that for honesty and customer care!

We thought you'd like to know that we have dispatched a portion of your order separately to give you the quickest possible service. You won't be charged any extra shipping fees, and the remainder of your order will follow as soon as the items become available.

Hey follow up mail 2 hour later with the above, fair feedback says it I think!

It sounds almost like you offer a fair price for goods which has no hidden element which we can possibly convince you to give back in the way of discounts if we ask / haggle or end up feeling let down / ripped off if we don't. (For the literally challenged this is laced with sarcasm).

Personally, I buy most of my kit used, but if buying new, I'd sooner get the right thing at a decent price and feel like I got it fairly, squarely and from someone who cares. OK you are not 'instant responders' in times like Stargazing Live season but hey, I don't check my emails as often these days anyway :p

I can find very little to complain about except the telephone service, even if FLO did send me two EQ3 Pro Synscan mounts when I only ordered one lol. I don't even bother with the phone anymore I just jump on the helpdesk system which seems to be far more responsive. However most customers will try the phone first and if they don't get a person answering the phone my guess is they will go to another supplier.

I've only ever managed to get through to FLO once on the phone, but their e-mail help desk is very good.

FLO is one of the cheapest astro retailers in the UK and provides the best service. That's why I keep buying from them. After a few purchases, I realised their customer service is worth the extra few pounds.

Usually, if I think an item from FLO is expensive, I'll look for one second hand. The cost for new items from other retailers are usually more expensive, if not the difference will be marginal.

Keep up the good work guys.

I Don't think its particularly bad that people ask for a discount because hey you never know if a retailer is willing to do so, I've been guilty of asking and received a discount of 8% on a number of Astronomy items adding up to about 700 pounds, and I was very greatful for this, and thanked the guy sincerely. HOWEVER, I think its very wrong on the customers part if they react badly if refused a discount, as they are asking for a favour, its not their right to have a discount, I'm not surprised that your a bit annoyed by this behaviour, its not on! I've only heard good things about FLO I and many others appreciate your integrity, and your a credit to Astronomy:)

I can find very little to complain about except the telephone

Yes, we failed there :)

After Stargazing Live we weren't able to answer the phones. We were overwhelmed. We left a message on the ansafone asking people to email so we were able to continue responding after hours but it was far from ideal.

We have apologised a number of times here and on our website but some are still having fun tweaking our tail :p

We are moving into new larger premises this week and will have another member of staff soon so we will be better placed to cope with the next Stargazing Live.

Archived