NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there any going back, after your first Dark Sky experience?

So, I’m well into my second month of “proper” stargazing, learning the sky with my bin’s, and thoroughly enjoying it. Virtually all of my observing has been from my back garden. Heathrow 2km to the north, London to the east which isn’t good, but my garden backs on to a large school field, so not too much in the way of direct lighting...... I’ve become interested, amongst other things, in the Messier’s but I struggle to see the likes of M35, M34 from home.

Anyhow, last Saturday, on my way to a 50th birthday party, I popped over to Albury where Astonomy4Everyone were observing. I had a few glimpses of the sky as I was driving there, but after getting parked up and walking out onto the cricket pitch I was simply amazed. The view was just stunning. I’ve marvelled at the night sky many times in the past while holidaying in more remote locations, but now, with my newly found and as yet very incomplete knowledge, I simply could not believe what I could see.

Orion dominated the sky. M42, even to the naked eye looked stunning. And then with the bin’s M35, 34, 36, 37, 38, 41....... they just seemed so easy.....There were so many more stars visible than I can see from the back garden, it almost made it harder to navigate my way around!!... I am officially blown away...

It’s a pity that I had to rush off after just an hour and a half, but I will be going again. It did feel a little strange, walking into a field of strangers, in the dark... but they were a friendly bunch and Andy the ‘main man’ was really welcoming – generously aiming his scope at a few targets for me and another newbie to have a look at and spending time talking to us, great guy.

We were then blessed with another cloud free night on Sunday, but viewing from the back garden just doesn’t seem the same since Albury.......

What am I to do?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean :D

I only observe planets from the back garden now. For everything else I save up my time and head for somewhere dark (about like Albury, I'd guess, or darker). I'd rather have a small number of good sessions than many light polluted ones. There are plenty of objects that are "detectable" from the city, but they look a shadow of their real selves. Also, the feeling of being under a dark sky is very different. If I wasn't able to do the dark sky trips then I'm not sure what I'd do... Perhaps I'd take up AP or maybe try video astronomy.

By your account you have observed from a reasonably dark site, this will be nothing to what you could see from a location with almost zero light pollution, there is nothing like a very dark site, which brings the best out of even modest equipment, if this is what you strive for, then you have no alternative but to seek out as dark a site as you can find, within reasonable traveling distance, as many other Astronomers do :D

Having been to Tenerife three times observing and imaging 2,000m above sea level, light polluted Blighty doesn't cut it at all.

But, hey! We've got to make the most of what we have and despite battling against the lights and the murky skies, it gives me more of challenge to cut though it all.

Despite all that, I still really enjoy my astronomy from home.

Dave

Hi

If you enjoyed Albury, you just wait until you get to a dark site.:D

Nothing compares to a really dark sky, Albury is reasonable for an easily accessible nearby site, but believe me it doesn't compare to really dark places.

To get to them takes considerable time for those of us that live in and around London, but the rewards are simply massive.

Londons LP is enormous it requires a long drive to escape it.

Try visiting Albury on a cloudy night, the orange glow from Lomdon stretches right overhead. From real dark skies there is no orange glow when it's cloudy, in fact its darker when it's cloudy.

As stated sites like this take a considerable drive but boy when you get there.

Regards Steve

Nothing replaces a really dark sky. I had my first truly dark sky in 1980 in the Negev desert. You feel like you can touch the milky way. Amazing. Still, with patience, and a UHC filter, you can do a lot from a suburban garden without direct lighting. Never as good as truly dark skies, but still pretty good.

I worked on drilling rigs in Saudi Arabia in 1993. Orion directly overhead takes some getting used to... :D And also the view is amazing due tot he blackness of the sky.

I also got an amazing view just outside St Ives in Cornwall last year as well.

I had my first dark sky experience on the weekend in Mid Wales- I'd never seen tne Milky Way before - it is mind blowing with the naked eye and when you get your telescope pointing upwards there seems be more stars than darkness in some areas- I can honestly say I was not expecting anythink like it despite reading what others have said

Now back to the light polluted S Wales Valleys - but there is a positive to be gleened - its easier to find your way about the night skies when your learning and can clearly make out the constellations and the planets - you can then take ths knowledge away with you when you go to the diamond spiked black skies of your dark sky location.

and unless your in the most heavily light polluted urban areas - just stepping out your back door with a coffee and Bins for half an hour is still a real escape from the rat race - but I know how you feel - just makes you look forward to your next trip even more I guess.

I'm planning to go into the peak district at the end of march for my first real dark site with a scope and just reading stories of dark site nights from others keeps exciting me more and more. I can't wait.

Clear skies

D.C

I'm planning to go into the peak district at the end of march for my first real dark site with a scope and just reading stories of dark site nights from others keeps exciting me more and more. I can't wait.

Clear skies

D.C

Ooh, you can go galaxy hunting in Virgo at that time. A 130mm will show a ton of objects if the skies are good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

When you're somewhere really dark, you feel quite connected with the night sky. That's a sensation that goes away in light polluted areas. You also see a lot of stuff naked eye that otherwise requires optical aid. Last year I was a site where I could see M33 naked eye (to say nothing of all the stuff in Sagittarius), the zodiacal light looked like dawn approaching, and the gegenschein was visible. That stuff is worth going to see, even if it means you become disillusioned with your back garden.

Hi

If you enjoyed Albury, you just wait until you get to a dark site.:)

Nothing compares to a really dark sky, Albury is reasonable for an easily accessible nearby site, but believe me it doesn't compare to really dark places.

To get to them takes considerable time for those of us that live in and around London, but the rewards are simply massive.

Londons LP is enormous it requires a long drive to escape it.

Try visiting Albury on a cloudy night, the orange glow from Lomdon stretches right overhead. From real dark skies there is no orange glow when it's cloudy, in fact its darker when it's cloudy.

As stated sites like this take a considerable drive but boy when you get there.

Regards Steve

Yeah, I know Albury isn’t the darkest of skies what with the orange domes of Guildford, Woking, Dorking, Crawley and Horsham not far enough away. I guess Ranmore Common is similar. But a huge improvement from my back garden. Is Bignor Hill much darker than Albury? When I first looked up where it is I thought the drive just looked too much, but now I’m starting to re-consider.......

Hopefully I will be holidaying in N Devon later this year and am also trying to arrange a visit to a old friend on the Isle of Wight.

Other than that, I’ll just have to put up with the back garden, maybe look a little harder :D

If Albury isn't that dark then I can't wait to get to a really dark sky!

I'm planning a weekend trip to Shropshire in April (near Bishop's Castle) and I've heard that the council are trying a "lights off" scheme to reduce light pollution. I only have a film SLR camera for imaging (unless I borrow friends!) and long exposures require dark skies!

I just hope the weather turns out okay!

I was down in East Sussex over the weekend and the skies were fantastic, compared with home and Albury. M44 was easy naked eye, as was the doubled cluster. Not the best skies I've seen but certainly very good. Quite amazing just how many stars there are up there :D.

Exmoor is probably the best sky I've ever seen.

As is normal for me, I had my 66mm refractor with me and managed some nice views of the normal favourites.

Nice PST views of the sun on Sunday too

Cheers

Stu

Yeah, I know Albury isn’t the darkest of skies what with the orange domes of Guildford, Woking, Dorking, Crawley and Horsham not far enough away. I guess Ranmore Common is similar. But a huge improvement from my back garden. Is Bignor Hill much darker than Albury? When I first looked up where it is I thought the drive just looked too much, but now I’m starting to re-consider.......

Hopefully I will be holidaying in N Devon later this year and am also trying to arrange a visit to a old friend on the Isle of Wight.

Other than that, I’ll just have to put up with the back garden, maybe look a little harder :D

When you are in North Devon, try to make time for an evening trip over to the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth, great skies and the historic telescopes to see through too.

Yeah, I know Albury isn’t the darkest of skies what with the orange domes of Guildford, Woking, Dorking, Crawley and Horsham not far enough away. I guess Ranmore Common is similar. But a huge improvement from my back garden. Is Bignor Hill much darker than Albury?

TBH the light domes of these little towns pales into insignificance when compared to the effect Greater London is still having on the skies around these sites.

Londons influence on sky conditions is massive.

Ranmore is about the same distance from London as Albury so light pollution will be the same. Bignor hill is much further away so sky conditions are somewhat better.

It has been said for truly dark skies you need to be over 100miles from any major city with a population over a million, London has eight times that population number so getting far away is the best policy.

Although Bignor isn't 100 miles from London it is far enough away that it's effect on the sky is considerably less than sites like Ranmore and Albury.

Take a trip down there with your bins you won't be disappointed.

Maybe catch up down there at some point.:D

Regards Steve

+1 for the NLO, best dark sky site I've been to with my scope. Long before my recent foray into astronomy I used to rock climb on the sea cliffs of Dorset and used to sleep under the stars in awe of the views. I think I may have to head back soon with a 'scope.

After going to a dark site last Saturday - it really does ruin you.

Another good place is Woburn village. We stayed there for a couple of nights & it's dark ! Unfortunately the cloud were full, so no viewing. Would love to go back when it's clear.

One of the best areas I experienced recently was Exmoor in Devon. We has a small cottage in the middle of no where for a couple of weeks. I had taken my scope and mount and was really blown away by the site of a night sky free of light pollution. Only problem was....I only got one clear night...cloud and rain dominated the majority of the holiday. It did leave me with an overiding ambition to move some where with really dark sky though.

So ...when we move next ...I've said to my wife, that she gets to have 100% of the choice of house...as long as I get to chose the location.

TBH the light domes of these little towns pales into insignificance when compared to the effect Greater London is still having on the skies around these sites.

Londons influence on sky conditions is massive.

Ranmore is about the same distance from London as Albury so light pollution will be the same. Bignor hill is much further away so sky conditions are somewhat better.

It has been said for truly dark skies you need to be over 100miles from any major city with a population over a million, London has eight times that population number so getting far away is the best policy.

Although Bignor isn't 100 miles from London it is far enough away that it's effect on the sky is considerably less than sites like Ranmore and Albury.

Take a trip down there with your bins you won't be disappointed.

Maybe catch up down there at some point.:D

Regards Steve

Agreed you need to be 30+ miles away even from any small towns (say 5000+ population) and a few miles from villages to avoid the related sky glow.

Archived