Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3-2 Wibbly wobbly

proflight2000

Hi All

Going to tax your brains if I may. I have my Evostar 120ed on an EQ3-2 mount and you would think that with the relative not too heavy scope that would suffice. I have even placed an RA motor on board and in her credit she follows pretty well.

However!!!! the scope really does suffer from the wobbles, it is driving me up the wall as even if you happen to put your eye to the eyepiece and touch it slightly the wobble ruins the view, I am under the impression that this mount really isn't up to the job with anything heavier than a swans feather.

Has anyone any ideads as to how I may bring this wobble down to something at least reasonable, any tricks or information would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it help adding some more weight to the centre of the mount? ie. Hanging off the base of the mount itself?

This would give it more weight in the middle and hold it more firmly to the ground, not sure if this works in practice mind you! Just a suggestion

:icon_scratch:

I think the mount would suffice, but if you have it on an alum tripod that is more of the problem with vibrations - a steel tripod would make quite a difference if you could find one and would be cheaper than getting a complete EQ-5

andrew

I think that with the SW 120ED you would require an EQ5 Pro or and EQ6 mount to get good stability. They do come up for sale second hand on 'UK astronomy buy and sell' from time to time.

I think the EQ3-2 is really for smaller scopes like the 80ED.

It is annoying, as with the option to buy it listed this mount, plus a couple of others. But you would think that if they sell the particular scope on that mount then it should be fit for purpose as the general set up it dictates. I think my main goal would be to try and obtain heavier tripod legs, the tubular ones, but I dont know if that would be possible to place the mount itself on. Damn frustrating to say the least.

The Evostar 120 has a long tube, so it puts more stress on the mount than a short OTA. I have a 120 on a EQ4 (Alu leg EQ5) and it is not as stable as I'd like for planets at higher magnification. The mount head flexes as well as the tripod, but the light weight alu tripod is the main problem.

Ever since I bought a C6, I've really stop using the 120 for night time observation.

The stainless steel legs (complete with head for attaching the mount to) are advertised as being for EQ5 (they are sold apparently to replace older style EQ5 mounts that came with aluminium legs!) but they will also fit the EQ3-2 mount as well (the EQ3-2 and EQ5 mounts are different of course but the base of the mount (where it attaches to the head of the tripod) are the same size. The weak point of the EQ3-2 mount and tripod assembly appears to be the combination of aluminium legs and plastic connectors between the head and the legs so replacing these with the "EQ5" stainless steel tripod should make a difference. Alternatively, you might consider buying the "EQ5" 16" pillar extension (this will fit nicely between the EQ3-2 mount and the aluminium tripod). This means you can maintain the working height of your scope but avoid extending the aluminium legs of the tripod. This does seem to improve things based on my experience with my 4" TAL frac. In my opinion the best option is the EQ5 legs & pillar extension combo... but the combined cost of the two components brings you close to full EQ5 territory. In the end I went for a pillar extension first and then, when funds allowed, upgraded to an EQ5 mount. The combination of the two works wonders with my 4" frac and the pillar extension allows me to observe close to zenith without having to kneel down!

I use my EQ3-2 on the steel pipe tripod and it makes quite a bit difference to the stability when viewing, especially vs. the ali tripod with legs extended. I have not tried this combo with my 5" achromat but with the original tripod it was pretty wobbly.

It is annoying, as with the option to buy it listed this mount, plus a couple of others. But you would think that if they sell the particular scope on that mount then it should be fit for purpose as the general set up it dictates. I think my main goal would be to try and obtain heavier tripod legs, the tubular ones, but I dont know if that would be possible to place the mount itself on. Damn frustrating to say the least.

If you bought the mount and scope recently, you could contact the dealer and explain your not happy. They might take it back/trade it in for an upgrade.

No the sale etc was fine, i am more rash as such that skywatcher are the ones that test these things and you'd think they would be aware etc. I am filling the legs with sand right now, ill see if that sorts it out some, if not i maye consider concrete in the legs and then add some weight somewhere. It isnt the mount or the scope, it is the flimsy tripod.

Lol, My kids have a sand pit, maybe I could put that to use. :)

I have often thought about just lugging the whole thing and putting it in the sand box to see what difference it would make.

But yeah, I do wonder why SW decide to pair that tripod with scopes like the 150P&PL.

The 150P is fine on the EQ3-2. Good match for visual use and possible to get some nice starter prime focus DSLR images. The PL and long refractors are a different story because of the much longer tubes rather than the weight.

Sorry, but there's no way I'd expect a 120 Evostar to function enjoyably on an EQ3-2 mount. Much as I like the EQ3s that's simply expecting too much.

Ant

I have to agree with this. It's asking too much of the mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same setup, and yes, it isn't up to the task. However, the sand treatment does work, couple with the anti vibration pads.

One other thing I only extend the tripod legs about 50%. Any further and you can actually see the tripod moving. By only extending the legs by 50% you are giving much needed strength and stability to the setup

• 2 weeks later...

"Some time ago one of the members of stargazers lounge recommended me the Sky watcher stainless steel tripod to replay the alloy one I was using.

I was alittle sceptical at first how much of an improvement it would make but I went for the dive anyway. £67.00 and five days later a stainless steel tripod

drops though my letter box"

Where did you get it for £67??!!

"Some time ago one of the members of stargazers lounge recommended me the Sky watcher stainless steel tripod to replay the alloy one I was using.

I was alittle sceptical at first how much of an improvement it would make but I went for the dive anyway. £67.00 and five days later a stainless steel tripod

drops though my letter box"

Where did you get it for £67??!!

And how did it fit through your letter box???!

Archived