Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 from Weymouth and Kelling

RobH

Some images come together almost immediately, and others seem to be sent to test your resolve, and this is one of those!!

In fact, M31, together with the Rosette, have been my Nemeses!!

I got lots of data on this, from home and from Kelling in September, but had an awful time with different gradients.....anyway, I kepyt bashing away and it finally cracked.

A big help was the DBE function in Pixinsight, plus some cropping to get rid of the worst areas.

Imaged in September 2011 with a TMB 80/480, SX M25C camera and Televue TRF2008 focal reducer.

Mount was an HEQ5, guided with a Willam Optics ZS80FD and Lodestar.

53 x 15 minute subs....total imaging time, 13 hrs 25 minutes.

I've posted a wide shot which has been reduced to fit the forum image size limits, and a full size core crop.

Cheers

Rob

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture15507-m31-sept2011-1200.jpg

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture15508-m31-sept-11-core.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best looking M31 I've seen, it's simply nailed. Lovely seamless blend of the core and a great finish of the outer regions against the background with no 'residual glow' or vignetting. Master class.

I would love to see a sticker with something like this documented from start to finish. Lot of work I suppose but get a few of you experienced imagers together to do a couple each and it could be the next must have book!

Many years ago, I used to have Larousse Encyclopaedia of Astronomy by Gerard de Vaucouleurs and the front cover had an identical photograph, taken, without doubt, by some large professional telescope( probably Mt Wilson 100"). I am VERY impressed!

Thanks folks, glad you like it :)

I was tempted (for a millisecond or so!) to push it a bit further, but the outer edges are starting to get a bit noisy anyway and an important thing with processing is to know when to stop :)

Cheers

Rob

Respect for the 13 hrs plus Rob. Its always worth sticking an image. Good star colour and detail to the core. My only criticism is that it does look a little orange to me.

The DBE tool should have its own Hall Of Fame.

Tom.

My only criticism is that it does look a little orange to me.

Tom.

I wondered about that too Tom, and maybe will do another run later with it toned down a shade, but then I got to thinking about all the shots we see of objects in the milky way where dust is a significant part of the image, and reasoned that the dust in M31 is very likely to be a similar colour, so went with this approach.

Here's the image with the yellow/orange reduced......not as striking but possibly more accurate......I've spent so long staring at the darned thing that it's hard to tell!! :)

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture15559-m31-sept2011-orange-reduced.jpg

Oh hell, Andromeda is such a 'personal thing' and is every imager's nemesis. I'm just goint to admire this one and shut up.

Olly

Ha ha :):D:D.....now I reckon it's got a bit too much magenta :)

Awesome image Rob! Suppose the 37 minutes I cracked off of M31 tonight before it vanished behind the shed ain't really going to cut it! :D

That's a great image for 13 minutes and 25 seconds :D........13 hours & 25 minutes!! OMG!! :):eek::)

Archived