Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20" f/4 Dob build

swamp thing

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Jules, getting there......at last.

Alan. Varnish is an exterior solvent based yacht one. I don't trust water based finishes on exterior wood. I was going to go with a two part epoxy but, it's a scope....not a yacht :)

It'll get five layers in total, same as the UTA.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I've managed to almost finish the mirror box now :) haven't had a great deal of spare time of late.

The inside I've painted Matt black, the outside has five cats of varnish. There is still a bit of finishing to do on the inside.

However I have managed to attach the alt bearings and truss clamps to the finished outside.

B7C98F56-AED3-479F-8C96-D83EB07B9AB6-1159-0000036BD5E9BB6C_zps0a672477.jpg

Now I just couldn't resist cutting the truss tube o rough length and having a mock up of the OTA :)

70BD06C5-3E4D-4BA9-8294-69E25128CE15-1159-0000036C5329D271_zps2cd22e0b.jpg

19E49A10-1FF5-4491-8D05-3DB19C790923-1159-0000036C0DD7F481_zpsa7f29815.jpg

Getting there at last. I can start to smell first light now.

Fantastic! You're getting there...

F/4 makes for quite a 'short' telescope, looks like even a short person could reach the eyepiece without perhaps the help of a step?

Ahhh yes, I can remember the smell of first light...

That is looking the business Steve. As Shane has said, the clamps are really nice. What have you still to do? Just the rocker box? I bet you are itching to get on now it is so close to completion. That Summer Triangle won't know what hit it!!

Looks like we might make First Light about the same time.

That is looking the business Steve. As Shane has said, the clamps are really nice. What have you still to do? Just the rocker box? I bet you are itching to get on now it is so close to completion. That Summer Triangle won't know what hit it!!

Looks like we might make First Light about the same time.

Theres a bit more finishin on the inside of the mirror box. Gotta install the cell. Rocker box. Then just install optics and cut trusses to exact length. :)

After completion both mirrors will get a recoat. As this needs doing too.

F/4 makes for quite a 'short' telescope, looks like even a short person could reach the eyepiece without perhaps the help of a step?

It looks like a milk crate sized step at the zenith. Everywhere else should be feet on floor :)

The best fix for aperture fever is probably owning the E-ELT. Mind you, I'm sure, in a few years, decades, people will want something 10 or 20 times the size, possibly orbiting the Earth like the ISS. Something with enough aperture to actually make out the flag pole on the Moon ;). Of course, it would be very expensive to send that thing up...

The best fix for aperture fever is probably owning the E-ELT. Mind you, I'm sure, in a few years, decades, people will want something 10 or 20 times the size, possibly orbiting the Earth like the ISS. Something with enough aperture to actually make out the flag pole on the Moon ;). Of course, it would be very expensive to send that thing up...

probably cheaper to land on the moon than make a telescope capable of seeing the flag from Earth.

For sure Shane. I have just been locating some hinges that allow my front door to move right out of the way to allow the full aperture of the doorway (2'8") to be utilised. This means the 20" will fit through the door. Otherwise it's too big.

The 20" comes out at just too big for a regular doorway. 18" would be IMHO the best size if indoor storage is needed.

Eventually my 20" will live in my army truck, so fitting through doors isn't such a problem in the long run, but in the meantime it has to fit. The hinges I've sourced will see to this.

Archived