Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20" f/4 Dob build

swamp thing

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Righty ho! Finally got some time on the scope build today. Managed to find the precut mirror box panels after an extensive search. These I've dovetailed using a router.

Here is the box on a dry assembly prior to gluing. I shall hopefully get some time on it this week to make up the corner braces and the light baffle. Hopefully get some finishing done on it too. Fingers crossed.

image_zps2d13632c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got to work with the sander cleaning up the dovetails.

C78C1EAE-BC75-4D64-BF30-B29CAC8984E7-1545-00000387BB7F213D_zps718bb7b5.jpg

Next job was to cut the mirror box at 45 deg at the bottom so it'll sit lower in the rocker box.

6CFB0E91-9AD4-4168-B5AD-2DF7EBAE5060-1545-00000387F68CD99B_zps8380eaae.jpg

This done I cut the light baffle. This was rebated. So it sits lower.

7EE1F058-D180-4AB1-B6D0-405266524D70-1545-000003880D5B4EEA_zps57b9c32c.jpg

The sides have a coat of varnish on. They will get several more the light baffle will be painted Matt black.

Must get round to tidying that garage :D

Fitted some corner braces to the mirror box today (pics later) cut these from some 3/4 ply I had left over from a job (weight is not an issue with this scope as it will be wheeled about not carried). Now just some more varnish and mat paint to finish the mirror box. Not getting much time to work on the scope right now :(

Thoughts now turn to the rocker box. This was going to be a biscuit jointed affair, as I felt it may well be painted or finished with a covering of some sort. I felt the rocker needs to be hard wearing as its the part most likely to be scuffed by boots etc.

Now though I'm thinking of a more decorative natural finish again with some more dovetails. I'm figuring the black ally alt bearings and black truss clamps will break up the wood enough to allow some more varnished wood to look nice.

I guess I can always build it with a decorative finish in mind and then see how it looks. :confused:

The trusses, hmmm! I have a couple of options here. Heat shrink would keep them nice to handle in the cold and give a nice dark finish. I can even get this with customised writing on (bling, bling)......or, anodise them black. Nice, but cold on the hands. :eek:

The natural wood and black fittings sounds sweet :cool: As you say, can always change your mind later if you don't like it. Very hard to go back to natural from a painted finish though.

I think I am gonna go with heat shrink on my trusses, for exactly the reason you say, nice to touch in the cold.

Here's a pic of the bracing inside the mirror box. I will use a hole saw to cut some access holes where I need to get at the truss clamp, and alt bearing bolts.

These make an already strong box into a bomb proof shelter :D

24BF1AB3-962D-425E-86F0-B80A2CD2AD45-259-0000004F6A296E30_zpsdcf11380.jpg

I will prime all the bare wood next before painting the inside mat black. I was going to stain it, but it just so happens I have a load of mat black paint, from painting my truck in camo.

Archived