20" f/4 Dob build

swamp thing

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only just caught up with this!

Timed it really well!

Just in time for first light.

What a fantastic job, you must be overjoyed.

My daughters have been reading this with me over my shoulder and would like one too when you've a spare minute. :p

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe picking them up tomorrow mike :) maybe.........depending on whether the coatings have hardened sufficiently.

Terry's been having problems with the chamber in the heat :rolleyes:

Im not in that much of a rush as the rest of the scope is at the tailors anyway, having its tuxedo (shroud) fitted :D

Yes mike I have the mirrors all shiny and new :)

Terry tested them for me too :) very good, smooth parabola he reckoned better than 1/8 accuracy. That'll do me.

Just need to centre spot the primary before fitting it, once the scope comes back from the tailors.

Very nice project Steve :) How do you stop the support plates rotating out of alignment :hello2:

You can use small soft springs to keep the plate in line, one end attached to the support bar the other to the plate. That's how I did mine, springs are not strong enough to interfere with the mirror placement but justr strong enough to keep the plates aligned.

I made a 27 point cell so had small spring for the smaller triangle and the 3 larger triangles - you can give the cell a good nudge and watch the triangles jiggle into position.

Yes mike I have the mirrors all shiny and new :)

Terry tested them for me too :) very good, smooth parabola he reckoned better than 1/8 accuracy. That'll do me.

Just need to centre spot the primary before fitting it, once the scope comes back from the tailors.

nice one steve, very nearly there then :grin:

Cheers guys. Today was the first time I put the scope together on my own, it was actually easier than with help.

I remember reading David Kreige,s comment that a well built 25" scope can be set up by one person in about ten minutes, or if he has help, about half an hour :D

This would seem to be very true.

Love this quote!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked the scope up yesterday from the tailors. The shroud is finished and I'm very happy with it.

image_zps40d8a3a5.jpg

image_zpsc4d429c0.jpg

Just a couple of little jobs to do on it (fit optics etc) over the weekend and it then should be first light :)

wow steve incredible, that shroud looks great but it hides some of the beauty but you cant have it all. cant wait to look through that, but then it will be bad for me turning to mine which will be like a finder scope in comparison well done mate

Archived