Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20" f/4 Dob build

swamp thing

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished the last component this evening, the dust cover for the mirror box. I also fitted the collimating bolt adjusters. First light?? Maybe next clear night if I get time, and can face staying up late enough for it to get dark.It will get a brief first light before final finishing/polishing. The mirrors will get a recoat before I start using it properly though.

Good luck Steve on first light - presumbly from home initially so include something near zenith :rolleyes:

Well done Steve. Really looking forward to hearing how she performs. Forecast looks ok for thursday night!

What coatings are you going for? Standard or the Orion Hilux?

The way my wallet is at the moment it could be Uhu and glitter :D

I think it will be rubbish Steve, far too big and cumbersome for you and not worth keeping. a swap for a lovely light and easy to carry 12" f4 would be what I'd recommend....no reason... what's that?? ....oh no, not mine. oh, go on then if you insist! :grin: :grin:

The way my wallet is at the moment it could be Uhu and glitter :D

He-he!! Imagine the scatter?? RC would be like an outdoor 70's fest!!

If it is of any use, I found Terry at Vacuum Coatings/Scientific Mirrors, to be the best priced and a damn nice chap. He made a fine job of my coatings. 14" primary and 2.7" secondary for £101.

Cheers all for your kind words.

@ Alan. BTW I went with the heat shrink for the truss tubes after much deliberating. Ordered it today, so it should be here in a day or two. I'll certainly be giving vacuum coatings a shout, cheers for that.

No first light yet. :(

I still have to fit the primary mirror. I don't have the room to do this in my garage without chancing an accident. I have not made any ramps so I can't get it indoors yet either. So I'm reliant on the weather......not good in the UK. last evening the weather was changeable here, with showers coming and going. Only after dark did it clear proper. I really didn't wanna try fitting the primary in the dark.

I really don't wanna be waiting around for a clear night to do this again. Bearing in mind how few good evenings we've had of late. So I've decided to send the optics off to be recoated whilst I clear some space so I can fit it safely. The nights are too short for the next few weeks to do much observing anyway.

theres only one word to discribe this scope AWESOME well done to you hope first light is not too far away

when are you starting production i want one lol

again well done

Hey Steve,

If you need an extra pair of hands to help get the mirror in place (to avoid the risk of an accident) then I'd be willing to help out (am sure others from the Surrey Observers group would also be).

Am also liking the new profile picture...

Ian

Archived