Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20" f/4 Dob build

swamp thing

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started on the rocker box this evening. Cut out all the panels, and started on the dovetails. After cutting all the tails, I started on the pins. Hmmm! That bit'll be blunt then :D Pick up another cutter tomorrow. Should get the rest of the pins cut at the weekend.

The outer 5/8 ply will be dovetailed with the inner 3/4 ply biscuit jointed or doweled. Judging by how strong the mirror box is, this should be incredibly strong. Keeping the scope boxes as rigid as possible should make high power tracking a synch, with zero play and flex.

Any movement should be transferred through a rigid structure straight to the bearings rather than being soaked up by flexing boxes, only for the scope to rebound when pressure is lifted.

This, I've always seen as important in a large scope after using cheap chipboard and MDF large Dob mounts that just don't cut it IMO

I'm also thinking of a prototype wheelbarrow idea with a single wheel at the front, this is only in my head at the moment but having one wheel will make it much more manoeuvrable when negotiating doorways and other obstacles.

learning form errors its what's it about..on a big scope like yours steve..you want the piece of mind that its been done right and by the sound of things its bang on mate.

looking great Steve. Am I reading it right that you are laminating 18mm sheets on the inside of the box shown? that would indeed be a very strong box - just right.

I love the look of the dovetails. might try them again on my current project. as with anything it's the setting up that takes the time.

That's correct Shane. I may be over engineering it, but better to be too strong than too weak.

I am very pleased with how the dovetails have come out. Routing them gives a very manufactured look. Which I like.

It seems many people struggle to do these with a router. It does require a little care, and a sharp bit ;)

As I've said before, if you keep the dovetails large and the pins small, you should be okay

Here's the rocker box with the laminated 3/4 ply on the sides. The bottom is 1.5" thick. One strong little box.

I've cut out the alt bearing seats, sanded the outside. Here she s with a coat of varnish on. Four more to go. The inside will be mat black again as it can be seen inside the mirror box.

1D8B02D0-4D0F-4687-8BFF-1EC29224F497-2765-000007AB9BDB29C1_zps3db7e17b.jpg

I'll try and get it set up next to my 10" Dob later today and get a pic to give you some idea of scale. ;)

Nearly there now. Just the ground board, feet, and some laminate etc

Here's the few pics I promised of it set up next to my 10" dob for scale. My 10" has an oversize tube and is probably closer to an 11" or 12" with a regular tube.

E12A30A9-F61E-45E4-A26F-D28F54DF3024-2765-000007C84A8018B8_zps0c72c60a.jpg

BD760B0F-F556-46F2-B284-E6A313A163BB-2765-000007C8DF65E836_zps0c4aceee.jpg

4B633FE9-DBA8-4852-ACEC-6549C8358B71-2765-000007C7B81FFC99_zps767885c0.jpg

It will need a few more coats of varnish on the rocker box before its the same shade as the mirror box. Hopefully get that done in the evenings this week.

Cheers guys. Today was the first time I put the scope together on my own, it was actually easier than with help.

I remember reading David Kreige,s comment that a well built 25" scope can be set up by one person in about ten minutes, or if he has help, about half an hour :D

This would seem to be very true.

Archived