Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello all from cloudy sussex

Robin the plumber

you lot all are a nice jolly change from other forums,

im a returning stargazer and have been thinking about the meade ls 8 with the lightswitch, iv read your posts but still on the fence and would love to have your views now that its been on the market for a while, looking forward to seeing the stars again and your comments

Robin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Robin, welcome to SGL, I got my scope today, so no surprise about the clouds. They reckon we might get clear skies here at about 9pm tomorrow. Anyway, welcome to the forum, you will get great help and advice on here, I can vouch for that :D

you lot all are a nice jolly change from other forums,

im a returning stargazer and have been thinking about the meade ls 8 with the lightswitch, iv read your posts but still on the fence and would love to have your views now that its been on the market for a while, looking forward to seeing the stars again and your comments

Robin

Hi & welcome Robin,

I am also a recently returning Stargazer!

I have an Meade early ETX LS6,bought in 2009;I am very pleased with it. It has never failed to Autolocate & I have seen so many objects with it that I would probably never found manually. I would highly recommend this scope - (just set up & have a Coffee & it will be ready!) & you'll see even more with the extra aperture of the LS8!

Regards

Graham :D

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum. The aperture is a good size to resolve some of those details that can often tantalize many who choose to purchase a smaller scope. From what I hear, they would appear to be a reliable performer and very easy to use. However from a personal point of view, I'm never attracted to 'tied' systems and by that I mean a mount system that is matched directly with a prescribed scope. I have an NEQ6 mount that allows me to stick anything I like on it (within reason) and in fact I could attach two different small scopes if I so choose. I can observe using the Goto as a means of finding objects but I could also use it for imaging. Now I am not an imager but the fact that I could, if I wanted to, provides me with greater potential value for my money. If imaging is for you, the proposed scope's alt-azimuth style mount (tracking which uses tiny horizontal and vertical steps) will be no good for imaging galaxies and nebula and at best you will only be able to image planets using a webcam. It is possible to 'wedge' or tilt the mount head back to facilitate equatorial tracking but of course that's another bit of kit to buy.

This view of prescribed setups is of course a personal one to me. Astronomy is great because it contains so many facets to it and you never know how your interest in astronomy will develop so keeping your options open is a good idea in the longer term. Refractor and Newtonian scopes offer many different advantages and disadvantages over a schmidt and that is why we all end up having more than one type of scope but ideally you only want one mount - especially if you want the other half to allow you to purchase some great eyepieces!!:D:D

Food for thought and clear skies

James

Had an 8" Light Switch for a year and love it. Done more to advance star gazing than any other scope in the last ten years.

My first scope and within half an hour out of the box was looking at amazing planets and deep sky objects.

Main criticism is the price - but if you can afford it - buy it - you wont regret it.

Regards

Paul

Archived