Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Didnt know scopes held their price so well?

Hig

I didnt realise scopes held their value so well, or have I just been lucky???

Last Jan I bought my first scope a Heritage 130p, for £135 plus p&p from FLO.

Decided to sell it on last week and maybe use what I got back to fund an upgrade, was expecting maybe £70-80, so stuck it on the bay, and it ended today gone for £120...

Sorted!! :D:):)

Couple of years ago i sold a Celestron SkyScout. It was in perfect condition,about 3 yrs old and i made a massive loss on it.

They really do not hold their value.

I got about 1/10th of the original cost.

I dont regret it though as it was only fun for about 3 weeks and was never used again.

60%-70% is the "normal" used value of astro equipment. Some items depreciate more and some less though, as with all things. Zeiss ortho eyepieces are currently selling used for around twice what they cost new but they are quite scarce - their owners don't sell them very often !.

I bought a Flextube 300p , a Equinox 120 and a William optics EZtouch mount and tripod in October 2008 for a total of £2064 and I have sold all three in the past month for a grand total of £1600. I thought that was pretty good considering I have had them for over 3 years.

Vlebo

I bought a second-hand, 4-month old 300P Dob for £350 and half-sold, half-donated it to my Astro Society for £200. I think it would have fetched close to £300 on the market. So, second hand equipment keeps its value even better. No Moore's law for glass, I guess.

I didnt realise scopes held their value so well, or have I just been lucky???

Last Jan I bought my first scope a Heritage 130p, for £135 plus p&p from FLO.

Decided to sell it on last week and maybe use what I got back to fund an upgrade, was expecting maybe £70-80, so stuck it on the bay, and it ended today gone for £120...

Sorted!! :):):)

Aha! So that was you. COngratulations on the price, I think you were very lucky. I actually bid on the item, but dropped out as I saw the price going up and up. I was amazed to see it go for virtually the same price as new (from a discount online dealer). Not surprised to see the smilies at the end of your post!

Archived