Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A massive thank you to the SGL community!! =)

zero_circle

Evening all! Just wanted to thank the whole community here for helping to put an end to my procrastination. :o I was stuck in telescope hell for quite some time and was a wee bit bewildered by the multitude of choices out there.

Settled on a SW 200P in the end largely due to the advice I found here. Very pleased and have had a fair bit of success with it despite living in a hideously light polluted town centre. :(

Took this pic on my second night out with Mr. Spyface :

photo.php?fbid=10150500304340067&set=a.10150500303845067.418974.675615066&type=3&theater

Just bought a neodymium filter so hopefully that should kill off some of the evil skyglow..

Nice to meet you all.

Clear skies!

Matty

post-32100-133877714255_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi and welcome nice choice of filter but i would have gone for the sky watcher lp filter i find it does better on lp ,the neo filter is good but i found the sky watcher was just a bit better ,i use the neo filter for planets and the lp filter for if i do go some where that as lp

nice image as well

Hi & welcome to SGL, I would like to second your comments as I have also brought a SW 200P. I read many threads as i was going to get a 130 but then I got aperture fever. So far I've been happy with the results but I do need to buy some filters. So thats next months shopping list started! I hope you enjoy your scope as much as I do.

hi and welcome nice choice of filter but i would have gone for the sky watcher lp filter i find it does better on lp ,the neo filter is good but i found the sky watcher was just a bit better ,i use the neo filter for planets and the lp filter for if i do go some where that as lp

nice image as well

I'll probably end up buying the SW filter too, just thought the Baader might be good for planetary work. Naturally it's been overcast since the filter arrived so I haven't had chance to test it out as of yet!! Will let you know how I get on.

I must be one of the very few people in Northamptonshire that didn't demonise the Council when they decided to turn off half of the county's street lights to save on cost!! :(

Hi Matty and welcome to the forum. Its nice to have choices but I know what you mean, it very quickly ends up looking like comparing one set of specifications with another, without being any the wiser. The biggest problem ultimately is having some viewing experience to hang these 'numbers' off of in order to make some headway. Public outreach evenings conducted by societies or observing groups is a good way to break this circle and I would certainly recommend it - also an opportunity to see some of this kit close up to evaluate transporting it and setting it all up.

Clear skies for you and your new purchase!

James

Aye, I'll admit to being a little bewildered by the choice of scopes and shiny accessories at first. The Skywatcher seemed to be the most bang for my buck and I went for an EQ mount to provide a bit more flexibility in the future dependent on where my interest takes me. Very pleased with it so far - nice and robust despite the 'made in China' sticker on it! I'd very much like to join a group in the Midlands but not being able to drive is a massive issue. Best start learning fast so I can get to those dark sky sites!!

I must be one of the very few people in Northamptonshire that didn't demonise the Council when they decided to turn off half of the county's street lights to save on cost!! :(

They haven't turned them off round here unfortunately :o from my back garden I can still see the glare of the lights towards Kettering & Wellingborough & of course the street light round the front tends to spoil things too!!!

I don't know if there's a Northamptonshire group around or not be it'd nice if a few of us could meet up somewhere though.

Archived