Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trade in for Ethos

West End Wendy

I've been bitten by the Ethos bug and I feel a 13mm is coming my way sometime soon.

Is there any point in keeping my current 17mm and 11 mm Naglers if I become an Ethos 13mm owner? The 17mm is my favourite eyepiece, but it seems rather pointless, not to mention financially imprudent, to hold on to it.

I can't believe I'm emotionally attached to a telescope eyepiece.

Doctor.....!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can certainly part with the 17mm Nagler. Not sure about the 11mm Nagler though - perhaps swap it for a 9mm ?.

The 17mm Nagler is an excellent eyepiece so I can see the dilemma. It's sale would go someway to cover the cost of the Ethos though.

I have a 13mm Ethos but I sometimes still yearn for my old 13mm T6 Nagler - it's such a potent eyepiece in such a compact package !. Makes no logical sense though :)

My 13mm Ethos is my most used EP. I notice that you have a Pentax XF 8.5 so personally I would sell the 11mm and 17mm Nagler and may also part with the 15mm TV plossl

The downside is once you have used the Ethos range you want more.

I now rarely use my 26mm Nagler and prefer to start with the 20mm Nagler and then jump to the 13mm Ethos and then the 8mm Ethos.

Mark

Wendy the 13mm Ethos is more suited for the set up MarkC has looking at their website, they recommend the 6, 8 and 21mm or equivalents like naglers. I would aggree with Chris, unless the 13mm really appeals :)

John I know exactly what you mean about the 13mm T5! I am thinking of getting rid of it now I have the ethos in the same length. But then I think of all the good times i've had with it and the 24mm Panoptic. Both lightweight beasts!

I now rarely use my 26mm Nagler and prefer to start with the 20mm Nagler and then jump to the 13mm Ethos and then the 8mm Ethos.

I'm the same when I use my 10", never use my 31T5. Its too low powered, big and heavy for this type of scope IMO. So I start with 20mm T5 then jump to a 12mm T4 if needed.

Regards Steve

it all depends of focal length and focal ratio.

my 16" f4 has a focal length of 1600mm and has very different 'optimum' eyepiece characteristic requirements than say my 6" f6 which is also different to my 6" f11. the answer to an eyepiece conundrum is more scopes!

• 2 weeks later...
I did a part trade of a 13mm and 22 pan for my 17 e and dont regret it for a moment... they certainly ar worth that pricetag!!!

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

would be handy to get a look through one of these, just another

to add to the wish list then :p

I see you suggest it a more readily used ep than the 13mm on a different thread Colin

Went for the 10mm Ethos in the end, sold the 11mm T6, 15mm plössl and a 2.5 powermate on astro buy sell to fund it. My god, Televue stuff doesn't last long on there, does it - frighteningly easy to get rid of.

By the way, when I first got into astronomy, Robin's eyepiece guide was one of the most useful resources I found on the net, so as he's contributed to this thread I just wanted to say a quick thank you for that while I'm here.

Tim

Went for the 10mm Ethos in the end, sold the 11mm T6, 15mm plössl and a 2.5 powermate on astro buy sell to fund it. My god, Televue stuff doesn't last long on there, does it - frighteningly easy to get rid of.

Tim

You DO know this is the thin end of the wedge and it will pine and haunt you until it has its older 17mm Ethos brother for company. I KNOW.

Had a chance to try my new 10mm Ethos last night - haze, cloud and a bright moon notwithstanding.

It is quite terrifying how quickly the brain starts to see a 100 degree field of view as "normal", although, in truth my lowly 82 degree 17mm Nagler did hold its own against the new competition.

What is truly fantastic about the ethos is that it combines the resolving power of a high mag EP with the FOV of a much lower one. Seeing Jupiter floating in space was awe inspiring, especially as a quick glance through the Radian at 180x revealed quite how bad conditions were. It also mananged to split double stars Meissa, Castor, Almach and quadruple star Sigma Orionis beautifully.

It's an addictive feeling, looking through an ethos - I might even go out tonight and look at 100 degree views of clouds.

Archived