NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just have to share this

Stevie816

Last night was my first night out for ages.

Among other things, I was searcing for Messier objects and found M77 as a very faint fuzzy. Well I looked it up later and it's about 45 million liight years away. Just imagine seeing something so far away

It must be huge !!

I came in at 2 am, minus 2 and covered in frost .

Great night.

47 million light years away !

Steve

Last night was my first night out for ages.

Among other things, I was searcing for Messier objects and found M77 as a very faint fuzzy. Well I looked it up later and it's about 45 million liight years away. Just imagine seeing something so far away

It must be huge !!

I came in at 2 am, minus 2 and covered in frost .

Great night.

47 million light years away !

Steve

I'm with you all the way on this.....

I just can't understand why the rest of my family are so underwhelmed! 47 MILLION light years away!! And even that is nothing when you think of how much further out there is to go!

They all think the X Factor is amazing ... they all really do need to get out more.

I'd like to hear the sat nav instructions for that:

"After 5 miles enter the roundabout. Take the third exit from the roundabout and continue for 276,295,392,539,629,999,950 miles to your destination" :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the knowledge that those photons were born way in the distant past, before mankind was even dreamed of, in the heart of gargantuan raging stars. They then set off on a multi-million year journey across the universe, passing other galaxies, massive nebulae and star clusters, countless planets and (maybe) civilizations only to come to rest in our tiny little eyes. Quite humbling, really!

Makes you feel good to be one of the privileged few doesn't it..:(

I'm with you all the way on this.....

I just can't understand why the rest of my family are so underwhelmed! 47 MILLION light years away!! And even that is nothing when you think of how much further out there is to go!

They all think the X Factor is amazing ... they all really do need to get out more.

Along with most of the planet..

Some brains just wash much easier than others.

Galaxy hunting is a fantastic astronomical pursuit, and very satisfying when you track them down.

Messier Marathons are a great exercise too.

Well done on your find Steve, it prompted me to look up M77

I must get an updated Messier Album. My old one has M77 at 30 million light years. It is 6 arc minutes in diameter with a total visual magnitude of 8.4 A Seyfert Galaxy, with a starlike nucleus, and an emission line spectrum.

I am quoting these details from my old Messier Album. so no doubt they have been revised somewhat since its publication.

Ron.:(

I just googled directions from Leicester to M77. It says 323 miles - 5 hrs 27 mins lol :icon_scratch:

I think Arriva Trains have been tampering with your computer - they've clearly neglected to mention the 47 million year delay that one would undoubtedly incurr!

Archived