Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Setup EQ6 Pro + 10" Revelation + ED80

Grant

This is my new setup, all from Steve @ First Light Optics! :) The Revelation 10" I brought from him awhile ago and at the recent star party I picked up the EQ6 Pro With ED80 :D

Heres some pictures for your enjoyment :)

image.jpg

My mum struggling to look through it (yes I know, I stll live at home, but trust me, not for much longer! )

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had to bodge some weights together to get it to balance... I think I will invest in something better here...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The rings were custom made by a local blacksmith, I then rubbed them down and painted them white (theres a few dodgy patches). I then lined the inside with rubber draft exluder that has a sticky backing, this works a treat! Really really chuffed with these, especially as it cost me ALOT less than buying them anywhere else.

image.jpg

This is the bracket I made to mount the ED80 on top, it cost about £4, I've got enough metal left to make 2 or more of these brackets too!

I'm a bit concerned about the weight though, I think theres about 22kg of counter balancs on there so its totally about 44kg of weight on the mount, is this ok?

Cheers,

Grant

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, we have a shed kitted out especially for astronomy, fully lined and insulated, electric hookup and strengthened floor.

I've just brough today some slabs to make a solid, level base so thats my job for the weekend. Then I'm contemplating buying a cheap shed to adapt and use as a roll off shelter for the whole setup, rather than having to carry it out and re set it up all the time...

The only concern I have at the moment is the weights though, should the eq6 be fine with this?

If its too heavy (and I'd guess its on the limits for visual) you could moce the ED nearer the mount, its as far away from the centre of gravity as it can be the way its set up.

I had a similar setup and I had the end of the refractor bar on a third tube ring and poking under the focuser, it keeps the weight closer to the mount and makes it easier to look through the refractor as well. More weight at the front end will also let you balance the scope higher up the tube and lower the eyepeice height on the Newt.

At the moment, its perfectly balanced in all direction so I think its a good starting point, the refractor is in a very comfortable position, the reflector is going to take a step ladder I think :)

I'll try rearranging the weights tomorrow, it would be nice to get rid of the dumbell weights! I think I could get away with 3 of the white weights and one of the smaller black weights...

What I'm most worried about is waking up to a crash and the whole thing is in a heap on the floor! Please tell me thats not going to happen :D

Grant

Don't add the weights to the weight of the OTA's - the weight of the scopes is all you need to worry about, so 22kgs is fine.

Get a milkcrate.... :D

There is a world shortage!! :)

What I'm most worried about is waking up to a crash and the whole thing is in a heap on the floor! Please tell me thats not going to happen :)

Its not going to happen - can't say I have ever heard of an EQ6 falling over.

Just be careful when setting up, taking down and balancing.

That sure looks classy Grant, and I know you are going to get some great work out of it. You have to get rid of the worries about collapsing, it aint gonna do that. Your instinct would tell you if something was not right. Just enjoy it.

Now, what is that giant grey ball, and are you a Boro. fan? I am just going by the paper I could see.

Ron. :)

I was toying with the idea of mounting my soon to arrive Skyliner 300p on an EQ6 in the future but now I'm thinking no way after getting some idea of how high it will be.

That's a very impressive and imposing setup though :)

ps. what the hell is that huge black sphere? :?

Archived