Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How Meticulous is Your Observational Log?

I use Starry Night Pro 6 Plus for logging my viewings. It keeps it all neat and tidy. And i can print it off whenever I need to.

How do others in the group record their sightings? And are you meticulous in detail, keeping everything in a folder with plastic inserts, or a bit gung-ho? eg bits of paper flying about everywhere.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair amount of OCD involved! All notes are typed up using prefabricated templates. All docs are numbered and cross referenced. All objects logged in a spreadsheet seperately as well as in typed motes, so I can get a quick reference to when I last saw an object. All sketches scanned and then backed up onto an external drive.

I will get a life one day...maybe

Should mention I work as a quality manager so this stuff is second nature to me.

:icon_confused:

David

During a session, bits of paper that I can't read afterwards because I tried to write without light!

Afterwards, a hardback notebook.

The main body is like a diary. On a date, what I did and saw. Handwritten in a warm house either immediately on return, or the next day. A very informal record. It is though useful to look and see whether my skills have progressed, or whether I continue to make the same mistakes!

One page lists Messier objects with dates as I see them.

Another page shows dimmest stars identified with date & kit.

Yet another records close star splitting, with date and kit.

Hopefully the dim/close pages will eventually build to provide a measure of what I can achieve with different kit.

Fair amount of OCD involved! All notes are typed up using prefabricated templates. All docs are numbered and cross referenced. All objects logged in a spreadsheet seperately as well as in typed motes, so I can get a quick reference to when I last saw an object. All sketches scanned and then backed up onto an external drive.

I will get a life one day...maybe

Should mention I work as a quality manager so this stuff is second nature to me.

:icon_confused:

David

Oh my God

I have a little hard back pocket notebook that I use to record what I was doing. That's coz I'm still very much a learner as far as astrophotography goes so I like to be able to look back and see how I set up, what sub length I used (although this is recorded in the image file) etc., etc. Also, coz often when I come to process the images I would have forgotten what the heck it was I was trying to image if I hadn't written it down!

Also means if I see anything of interest I can make a note of it... Then again, I'm only in my garden so it's easy to nip in and out so long as I don't mind ruining my dark adapted vision!

Oh and should maybe have said... I have a chronological order at the front of the book, but at the back I have a list of potential targets, by month, and the preferred scope to image them with.

All of this, though, is largely theoretical given the lack of clear skies!

Apart from making (small) inroads on the lunar 100, I'm still at the "ohh, look at the pretty lights!" stage. Plan to get a diary in the new year though, probably keep it pretty informal...

I was always told you should keep a log of what you see, good astronomical practice, I mean look at Sir PM`s records they are a marvelous collection of his achievements, I shall severely chastise myself and add it to my New Year resolutions :icon_confused:

great thread. the difference between observers is huge, from the ocd types to scribblers.

im new so i havn't really worked out a system yet. i scribble date ,time and object, usually with a reference to the mag used and very brief description. all done with the purpose of copying up a neat version in a hardbook or some logging report sheets which i printed myself after looking up examples.

as yet ive not filled one sheet in,just have a note book full of ramblings with some awful pictures along the way,lol. but hey its a start.

Mine is pretty loose. I just log date and what I was able to see. I reckon a better log would be nice but I just don't see the point in getting too much effort in it as it's not likely to be of much use.

I have however given some thought to create a site with the corresponding Android and IOS apps to allow users to log their observations and share them. The idea has been on my mind for a year, but I've had too many paid projects at work taking all my free time to actually get started on freeware.

I think a public library of such a log would be a great resource. Then I would consider making a more detailed log as that work could be of use to the community.

I really wish my Observation logs were more meticulously kept. Alas, the are simply notes on a word file and I don't even bother recording the nights where I only find a few objects.

It is a really good idea to record what you see; not just for personal enjoyment and recollection, but if you are able to use different telescopes, you can forget what certain objects looked like. I've moved through different apertures in a short space of time and it would have been good if I recorded what I saw through them - partially for the benefit of being able to tell others who express an interest in purchasing a telescope for themselves.

@cosmo

Thats an interesting way of thinking. I always thought keeping records adds more interest to the pursuit. But spontaneity and free thinking always have a place in enjoyment and is a personal thing for sure. My 11 year old son just looks at anything available and gets his enjoyment that way.

I don't keep notes either, other than a few when I'm reviewing / comparing equipment so that I can remember how things looked when I come to write them up.

I tend to view my observation style as a sort of "sky tourist" - I like to see the sights :icon_confused:

Archived