NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How Meticulous is Your Observational Log?

Observational what?

haha...................i keep a mental record of objects i see and although i have the memory of an elephant...............cant remember what i have observed to date.

But thats me................I just like to scan the skies and admire the beauty of the universe. I know the rough location etc and time of year of objects i want to revisit.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only just started writing reports on this forum, let alone any personal note-taking and sketches.

If people find them useful, i'll continue. If not, I'll probably stop.

I do keep spreadsheets and maps of targets and tick them off as I see them. As I get organised, this may eventually turn into something meaningful but at the moment it is all a bit haphazard.

I have only just started writing reports on this forum, let alone any personal note-taking and sketches.

If people find them useful, i'll continue. If not, I'll probably stop.

I do keep spreadsheets and maps of targets and tick them off as I see them. As I get organised, this may eventually turn into something meaningful but at the moment it is all a bit haphazard.

I find it useful to read other people's observational logs from time to time. Especially if they are detailing the same things I currently am looking for...

I have kept notes over the years and have transferred most of them into Astroplanner which I find very useful. Although I keep the log on a computer I also like to print off my observations and include any images/sketches that I have made. Some of my observations go back to the 1980's and its interesting to look back at what I was observing and the equipment I was using.

Archived