Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great Flocking Material- Superb results

DaveGibbons

Hi All, If you are looking to flock your scope then get yourself down to a Wilkinsons home store as they stock a self adhesive black velour material in easy to handle rolls of 1m length by 45 cm width,at least my Southport shop does!

It's absolutely superb and having just done a 10" skywatcher dob tube it is in my opinion as good as or even better than the far more expensive Prostar stuff I have used on a number of scopes in the past. It cost £5 a roll and took 3 rolls to do the 10" dob total cost £15. It's manufactured in Germany by D-C-FIX and is extremely black and has better adhesive qualities than Prostar. A month on and I can see no evidence of any fibre shedding on the mirrors and it is definitely a great buy.

I've actually bought a few more rolls for future use as you never know how long they will stock it. Check out your local store .

Just added a picture of the inside of the tube. I used a full flash just to show how well it cuts down on light reflection, just try that on an unflocked one !

You can see from the bare section on the focusser tube that allows the bearing to run freely the general difference in reflection qualities.

cheers

Dave

post-12720-133877695771_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can paint the back of the secondary and the edge of the prime flocked my scope 12" reflector,i painted all the nutts ond bolt on the in side a good tip,for painting the back of the scondary is to buy the cheapest black gloss paint,the cheaper it it the more hardener and acrylic in it get a old tea mug,andfill it up half way with the paint and put 4 tea spoons of talcum powder in it and mix for at least 5 minutes,did you flock the focuser ? a dew shield is also a good idea even if theres no dew becuase that will keep the stray light out

Has anyone any idea what this stuff is called on the shelfs at wilkos ?.Want to give the local store a bell to see if they got any in.Just would prefer to know its wilko store name rather than trying to explain to someone on phone what im after.

Has anyone any idea what this stuff is called on the shelfs at wilkos ?.Want to give the local store a bell to see if they got any in.Just would prefer to know its wilko store name rather than trying to explain to someone on phone what im after.

There's a pic further up the thread - deco velour from d-c-Fix.

... is extremely black and has better adhesive qualities than Prostar. A month on and I can see no evidence of any fibre shedding on the mirrors and it is definitely a great buy.

Excellent :icon_confused:

Precisely what we have been looking for! I have contacted the manufacturers.

Thank-you for mentioning it Dave,

Steve

Excellent :icon_confused:

Precisely what we have been looking for! I have contacted the manufacturers.

Thank-you for mentioning it Dave,

Steve

It'll be good if you can get it in - means we will have a source of it :rolleyes: Being "out in the sticks" the shops are a fair distance away and I do most shopping on line.

Archived