NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Hello from Scotland!

Kanon

Hello,

I have been reading these forums since last year but I have never managed to get round to posting anything so I thought it was about time I did. My name is Mark and I've always been interested in astronomy. My wife would tell you that I watch too many Sci Fi films/shows and I suppose thats where my interest stemmed from. About three years ago I purchased one of those cheap 8" £200 Newtonian scopes from ebay and since then I have been buying different bits.

I consider myself a newbie and there is so much I don't know probably because I read up on something and by the time I get a chance to go out it's normally at short notice and I am totally unprepared. Imaging is probably my main interest because thats when you see the most detail. My six year old son doesn't appreciate a fuzzy blob in the eyepiece but take a long exposure photograph and the details increase. Eventually I would like to buy a Watec 120N that way I could display the images on a TV so that we could see images in realtime.

When I go out I always take my laptop and use Starry Night software for the sky map. I also find the F.O.V. feature where you put in the details of your scope and eyepiece and the program overlays a circle showing your field of view on the map. This helps to work out what I am looking at. There are a few things I would like to get some advice on but I'll post them under another section.

Cheers,

Mark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Mark. I'm not an imager myself (yet) but there are lots of people on here who are and will be able to advise. Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? (Asks a Scot in Somerset...)

welcome to SGL Mark!

I suppose you're referring to one of those Seben scopes - not at all well regarded in astronomy circles, but how do you find it?

I know what you mean about not being prepared once you actually get out there. Occasional planning of your sessions should help you remember what you went out for in the first place.

So is your son already sick of the likes of Saturn, the moon, and clusters?? If I would be him I would constantly be saying "show me M36 again daddy!" But I suppose the faint fuzzies don't get much of a reaction unless you really know what you're actually looking at.

I'm sure we will all be very happy to help to answer any queries you may have.

Andrew

P.S. I'm in Aberdeen myself (although at the moment in teh middle of NoWales)

Hi Mark

Welcome to SGL from another Scottish based newbie. Let us know whereabouts in Scotland you are (and what your skies are like). There seems to be more and more of us from Scotland on here.

Cheers, Martin

Hi Mark from another Scottish noob. :)

You mention watching images in real time on the TV - what about those Meade eyepieces that let you do exactly that? They're on eBay all the time. Don't know if they're any good but they're quite cheap.

This is great: we have so many scots (relatively speaking) here, I've just realised

Stormwatch, Gary, Dogfish, Mark and myself, plus Jamie of course.

We sjpi;d* definitely meet up sometime somewhere dark and central.

Andrew

*(I didn't have my right index on the home key and was too busy watching the rain!)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

HI MARK

Welcome on board, if you are ever in the Glasgow/ayrshire way give us a nod and we can get a session sorted out, there are a few of us in this area.

Gary (kilmarnock)

I'm in Kilwinning in Ayrshire :) Any help I can get would be appreciated.

I suppose you're referring to one of those Seben scopes - not at all well regarded in astronomy circles, but how do you find it?

It wasn't a Seben I can't remember the exact name but it was shipped from Germany but made in China and it was my first scope and so I had nothing to compare it against but I did find some reviews on it. Unfortunately one of the reviews I read said the only thing salvageable from the scope was the mount and that was after you take a drill to it so you could mesh the gears properly. I eventually tried a star test on it and found that the primary mirror was flawed so I bought a second hand Orion Optics Uk dx 200 and the difference was like night and day. The image was brighter and clearer through the Orion Optics scope.

I can't speak for the Seben scopes but a colleague at work also bought a reflector scope from the same company as I did but his was a 6" and it had a lens in the optical path before the light reaches the focuser.

Mainly I observe from the backdoor as I am on the outskirts of the town and to the east the light pollution isn't too bad. I have been twice now to the little moor road just as you pass the Dumfries and Galloway sign when heading south from Ayr. From there you can see so many stars it's hard to get your bearings. Last time I was there it was -10, that was over a year ago.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Nice to have a near neighbour on the forum, please feel free to pm me if you fancy a session, albeit weather permitting :sunny:. I have a broken arm at moment so not as able at present but like you, I do most of my observing in my back garden. I have been to the eaglesham moor a few times with a few other fellow stargazers from the group below.

http://www.scottishastronomers.com/

Drop a line to Paul stephens he will get you registered and you will be informed of any future events.

Looks like a nice scope you have, would be nice to get some decent weather and see a bit of the summer sky. :)

Hope to speak to you soon.

Gary

Welcome aboard Mark.

Nice to see more people who enjoy those lovely dark Scottish skies (I'm not jelous, no not one bit :shock:)

I've found myself getting in to the imaging side too. Loads of pro's in here that have helped me no end. Your in the right place!

Matt

Hello and welcome from me too Mark. I am in England but only just. 8 miles from now SPL, were, Scottish 1st. div. champions Gretna.

It is a shame you missed out badly with your first scope, and I know it's easy to be wise after an event. You are not the first, and sadly you won't be the last scope buyer who did not seek advice prior to purchase. It a pity you didn't know of SGL, or even a local astronomy society that could have given you some usefull advice before you decided to spend your hard earned cash. But, as they say, water under the bidge, and now you move forward with your new hobby. All the help you need you will find here, and the next time you want to flex your card, or rattle your coins, you will do so with a wiser head. :)

Welcome again, and enjoy your stay.

Ron. :D

Archived